Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my friend wants to become a lawyer when she's older and is struggling on deciding what A-levels she needs. We have looked on some university websites for requirements but they don't state any in particular. Which, I know, is an answer in itself. BUT, is there any that may up her chances? or make her stand out a little more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maisie13)
    Hey, my friend wants to become a lawyer when she's older and is struggling on deciding what A-levels she needs. We have looked on some university websites for requirements but they don't state any in particular. Which, I know, is an answer in itself. BUT, is there any that may up her chances? or make her stand out a little more?
    Some of my friends here are studying towards their Undergraduate Law degree and some are studying towards related degrees who will then convert to Law. A-Levels that Universities tend to prefer for Law are:

History
    English Literature
    Maths
    Geography

History or English Literature are somewhat of a must if you are to have a decent chance for a Law degree at any decent University. Maths isn't necessary, nor is it advised if you cannot do well in it. A general rule of thumb for Law is to pick either History or English Literature, then 1 more essay based subject (doesn't really matter which) and then a third 'strong' A2 of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have completely the same problem as you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well taking law would be a start

ReputationRep:
    Actually, don't take law as an A-level.

Anything you like within reason, but strong academic subjects are preferred.
    Doing maths, english etc (at least one essay subject would be good); is much better than doing PE, Drama, Home ec. etc.

For reference, I did math, physics, economics/bus and politics.
    Doing history/english is not a must, just that an essay based subject is ideal, as would something involving problem solving. Just make sure they're something one could actually do well in - pointless if you'd fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    Some of my friends here are studying towards their Undergraduate Law degree and some are studying towards related degrees who will then convert to Law. A-Levels that Universities tend to prefer for Law are:

History
    English Literature
    Maths
    Geography

History or English Literature are somewhat of a must if you are to have a decent chance for a Law degree at any decent University. Maths isn't necessary, nor is it advised if you cannot do well in it. A general rule of thumb for Law is to pick either History or English Literature, then 1 more essay based subject (doesn't really matter which) and then a third 'strong' A2 of your choice.
    Thank you so much, I'll make sure to forward this on to her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    Actually, don't take law as an A-level.

Anything you like within reason, but strong academic subjects are preferred.
    Doing maths, english etc (at least one essay subject would be good); is much better than doing PE, Drama, Home ec. etc.

For reference, I did math, physics, economics/bus and politics.
    Doing history/english is not a must, just that an essay based subject is ideal, as would something involving problem solving. Just make sure they're something one could actually do well in - pointless if you'd fail.
    I really don't get why people say this, like 50% do and the rest don't
    I mean I am looking to get into oxford law and I do not see why it should be bad to do law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)

History
    English Literature
    Maths
    Geography

I would only advise to choose traditional a-levels, irrespective of whether they are essay-based or not. I am doing Maths, Fmaths, Physics and English Lit, this did not hinder my application since I got 5 offers from top 10 unis. In fact, doing a traditional science helps you think critically and logically, which is helpful and proves that you can do more than memorising facts and waffling through essays (anyone with half a brain could do that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I mean I am looking to get into oxford law and I do not see why it should be bad to do law

I think when I was researching a year ago somewhere said that law is considered a soft subject for them? or that they preferred to teach law fresh to first years instead of them thinking law alevels is the basis of a law degree, I'm not too sure but check up on that.

ReputationRep:
    Some unis do specify subjects like A level English, or humanities subjects so do have a look at all of the potential unis.

Subjects that would be useful..

English Literature
    History
    Modern Studies
    Politics
    Modern Language
    Latin
    Classical Studies

I mean in most of those subjects, the material itself is not relevant, but the skills and techniques that are picked up are invaluable.

Hope this helps !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    It's not bad per se, but law schools prefer to teach you in their own way, and it's much easier to start with a blank canvas so to speak.
    Mine for instance teaches land law and trusts from a certain perspective, and leaves out topics that other schools use. Also, A level law might get one into bad habits with regards to certain things - again, my law school for instance likes people to answer Qs in certain ways.
    If you have other strong subjects it won't be that harmful though imo. Just a preference.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.