Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone please help me!!

I have found a place to live close to my uni (15 min) which is very convenient, but I would be living with a resident host family which is a married couple in their 50s. Should I move into this house or do you think I would be missing out on the typical living in a house with unistudents experience?
    My other options is living with three girls that are already friends but going into 3rd year. I don't really have any friends since I struggled to make friends in my first year in halls. I thought maybe I could make some friends in 2nd year. Should I just give up and go live with the married couple?

ReputationRep:
    Well giving up on making friends is just silly and pointless unless you don't actually want any friends.

As for where you should live. Depends what you want in a home. Would you rather be with people your own age? Would you feel uncomfortable bringing a partner back to the couples house? Would you not want to live in a house where parties might be happening? ect ect. There are pros and cons to both sides. Figure out what is most important to you, we can't do that for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rox1995)
    Someone please help me!!

I have found a place to live close to my uni (15 min) which is very convenient, but I would be living with a resident host family which is a married couple in their 50s. Should I move into this house or do you think I would be missing out on the typical living in a house with unistudents experience?
    My other options is living with three girls that are already friends but going into 3rd year. I don't really have any friends since I struggled to make friends in my first year in halls. I thought maybe I could make some friends in 2nd year. Should I just give up and go live with the married couple?
    Think of possible situations with both sets of "housemates".

The older couple aren't going to want friends over (don't close that door just because you didn't get to know people in 1st year!) but will most likely be friendly, reasonable and homely. If you respect them, they will respect you.

The 3rd years are students, yes. They might have friends over, and they would be accepting of you having friends over. However because they're 3rd years, they won't be partying all the time; they'll be studying and maybe going out every other weekend. How well do you know them? Are they likely to belittle you and make you uncomfortable in any way?

On the friends note; howabout having a fresh start next year and joining a society or two? It will force you to speak to people and might even find you in a relationship (whether it be best friend material or boyfriend material) and will definitely find you around other people with a similar interest. What hobbies did/do you have that you could join a society for? If you don't want to be around loud people, choose something smaller and geekier like gaming or Harry Potter (yeah, there's a Harry Potter society at my uni haha), which might put you at more ease if you're around other quiet people.

Something I did to help me choose my uni was draw up a table of positive and negative things about each option that I saw at open days. Would it be worth meeting up with the couple or getting to know the 3rd years a bit better to make the decision easier?

Hoping some of this helps you..?

ReputationRep:
    Live with the old people and then wind them up for fun. They're probably not very mobile so just move their stuff to high places, play knock door run on their rooms, and play loud music too far for them to walk.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.