Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas what to do for your A2 computing project?
    Because i cant think of a good idea.

(Original post by Dan_Crew)
    Any ideas what to do for your A2 computing project?
    Because i cant think of a good idea.
    You could always take the tried and tested video store or do my idea which was a library. Both allow very diverse systems to be designed. You can expand of the problems that the company faces. The data flow practically draws itself. The solution system can be as simple or complex as you like. These are just some of the reasons why this type of project allows you to gain full marks (like me ) simply by following through the marks scheme in the spec for this module and ticking of each box as you complete it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You could always take the tried and tested video store or do my idea which was a library. Both allow very diverse systems to be designed. You can expand of the problems that the company faces. The data flow practically draws itself. The solution system can be as simple or complex as you like. These are just some of the reasons why this type of project allows you to gain full marks (like me ) simply by following through the marks scheme in the spec for this module and ticking of each box as you complete it.
    If you did a video store markers would just laugth

If you did a video store markers would just laugth
    However if you met all the points on thier marks scheme due to large scope the problem allows, it is you who would be laughing when they have little choice but to give you full marks. Would you rather have 120/120 in the bag or would you rather be like every other "inventive" student that has to create problems from nothing and therefore will probably get a poor grade because of it?!? I know which one I would pick!!!

ReputationRep:
    i did a website using PHP and mySQL

my teacher seems to think it wasnt worthy of a grade, i got a U, she later changed it to a D or E i think,

screwed me over

im going to fail life

60-70 pages should at least be a C no matter what content, in computing anyway, what a joke subject

i would drop it now, its meaningless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friday13th)

my teacher seems to think it wasnt worthy of a grade, i got a U, she later changed it to a D or E i think,

screwed me over

im going to fail life

60-70 pages should at least be a C no matter what content, in computing anyway, what a joke subject

i would drop it now, its meaningless
    Well i did 100 for AS

ReputationRep:
    No way, I did about 120 pages for my AS computing coursework and almost 200 for my A2 project which I thought was fairly well construcetd. However, I only managed to get D's on both courseworks, so trust me, if you write 50 pages or more, you are not garunteed even a C grade as I am living proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btigershark)
    No way, I did about 120 pages for my AS computing coursework and almost 200 for my A2 project which I thought was fairly well construcetd. However, I only managed to get D's on both courseworks, so trust me, if you write 50 pages or more, you are not garunteed even a C grade as I am living proof
    So what did u do for your A2

ReputationRep:
    I got full marks in both my AS and A2 projects. I did this system for a school which taught and tested primary school children. It was based on an access database, driven by a VB frontend and had stuff like animations, a basic drawing package (to add new images), statistical tools etc as well as being fully secure. I ended up writing it in a combination of VB and SQL.

Generally the project gets you hardly any marks. It's the write up that's worth loads- I ended up doing about 140 pages for AS and over twice that for A2, it took forever but was worth it last summer when I needed 1 E and 1 U to get an A in computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    I got full marks in both my AS and A2 projects. I did this system for a school which taught and tested primary school children. It was based on an access database, driven by a VB frontend and had stuff like animations, a basic drawing package (to add new images), statistical tools etc as well as being fully secure. I ended up writing it in a combination of VB and SQL.

Generally the project gets you hardly any marks. It's the write up that's worth loads- I ended up doing about 140 pages for AS and over twice that for A2, it took forever but was worth it last summer when I needed 1 E and 1 U to get an A in computing.
    I smell sum ********

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btigershark)
    what did you write? I know for AQA computing, AS level they ask for documentation between 30 and 35 pages long..
    On the subject of projects, I have thought of doing a calendar system, where you put in certain dates/times of meetings whatever and a box pops up when the times arrives. The idea is you run this program all the time - basically Microsoft Outlook I could also add a priority list and a store of people's names, address' and phone numbers etc. Depends how hard the first bit will be to do. Do you think its a worthwhile/feesible (sp) project? How much content should I add to the system. I am the end user so I can change the spec to suit

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by MuvverRussia

I smell sum ********
    mmm me to

ReputationRep:
    Fine, if you think it's ******** then I can't do much about it. I can assure you that it isn't though- the computing coursework isn't hard if you actually put effort into it, especially if you use VB. Also it isn't hard to implement an extremely basic (i.e. black and white, lines only) drawing module into the program- there's loads of off the shelf code that you can base it on. Animations are easy as well, you can just use animated gifs.

A secure login can be done by just using a selection loop (i.e. If password entered=password then go to next form)- once this is encoded to an executable file then it's secure. Also the stats tools are basic maths (standard deviation, mean, variance etc). It's not hard if you know how to approach the project.

As for my length of my write up- we had to submit our code (with annotations) which took up over 35 pages. As well as that I had to have each form labelled on a sheet of A4 paper which took up over another 30 pages. It quickly builds up.

I did WJEC btw- the coursework is worth 40% of the overall A level, so it's a lot of work. Also we do 1 project for AS and A2, with 25% of the actual program being done for AS and the rest being done for A2, so in effect I had over 18 months to do it in.

ReputationRep:
    I did my A2 Computing project for AQA on a restaurant stock control system..monitoring the food stock control and ordering new stock as and when required. Did it in Delphi linked to Access think i got 52/60..not told mark yet but teacher sed it was an A so im happy

ReputationRep:

I did an e-Commerce system using VisualBasic.NET in ASP.NET and MSSQL Server. I got full marks for most sections (and all marks were in the top bands). The project consisted of 45 pages.

So it's definitely what you write, and not how much you write.

i've finished my a2 computing completely, got an A/B for my project and alls it consisted was, was an access database with some VBA it was for a video shop database to manipulate data, help keep track of stock, more efficient, and report printing, and a couple of other things

what is important is the project write up, the analysis is worth as many marks as the solution! as is the design ( for AQA )

play the game!

ReputationRep:
    60-70 pages should at least be a C no matter what content
    Er, why?

I did a ticketing system for a football club. Which was rather over complex for the spec and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone doing it next year.

ReputationRep:
    I did about 100 pages, no actual implimentation, and scraped a B for it!
    But i put alot into the documentation, and was able to fake knowing what i was on about!
    Its all about making the person marking it think you understand what you are doing, rather than showing any real understanding, and quantity helps in that.

ReputationRep:
    I made the foolish mistake of making a decent 'system' - this took a couple of weeks of work in my spare time, I was then left with 2 days to do the write up, didn't sleep at all in that time and still was just below a B.
    Major loss of marks was in the implementation stage, despite implementing the project really well, my proof of this was not good enough... Aparantly the nature of my project meant I needed more than screenshots.

Still, I am glad I didn't do a boring VB project, making educational flash games is far more 'fun'.

In response to the question, I would have to ask what are you good at? If there is nothing specific, then whatever the school software is will decide for you
    Making a 'game' is relatively simple, and will be marked less stringently as there are some grey areas, unlike with some database jobby, where there is mark scheme set in stone.

W.

ReputationRep:
    I engineered a system to handle the process of prescriptions and normal customer transactions for a local, independent pharmacy using VB6 and MS Access.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.