The Student Room Group

Any theology students here?

What's the course like generally (like are there lots of essays, lecture hours,stressful? etc.)?

How much science, philosophy and history is involved?
Reply 1
I have a higher Masters degree in theology (STM) A lot more history than philosophy. I learned more history studying theology than I ever did studying history. Over the course of my studies I submitted close to half a million words in essays and assignments. It was the most rigorous degree I ever studied for.
Reply 2
Original post by Howard
I have a higher Masters degree in theology (STM) A lot more history than philosophy. I learned more history studying theology than I ever did studying history. Over the course of my studies I submitted close to half a million words in essays and assignments. It was the most rigorous degree I ever studied for.

Thanks for the reply. The half a million words thing kinda scares me but seems worth it. So how much science is involved (what I'm more interested in)?
Reply 3
I Plan on studying it when i'm a well established millionaire/billionaire
Reply 4
Original post by champ_mc99
Thanks for the reply. The half a million words thing kinda scares me but seems worth it. So how much science is involved (what I'm more interested in)?

None at all other than in a historical context. The units I covered were:

Anglican Apologetics
Catholic Theology
Church History
Holy Orders
Intro to the Bible
Liturgical Theology
Biblical Exegisis
NT History & Theology 1 & 2
OT History & Theology 1 & 2
Eccelesiology
Baptism & Confirmation
Penance
Christian Education
Geography of the Bible
Holy Communion
Marriage
Pastoral Counselling
Parish Administration

This STM was designed as a training ground for traditional Anglican priests so it's light on philosophy and heavy on hands-on sacramentalism. There are so many approaches to the study of theology so you need to decide what sort of theological training you want to receive. I couldn't tell you the first thing about "20th century feminism and the modern church" but I do know how to conduct a funeral, say Mass, and give a half decent sermon. It's up to you what you want.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Howard
None at all other than in a historical context. The units I covered were:

Anglican Apologetics
Catholic Theology
Church History
Holy Orders
Intro to the Bible
Liturgical Theology
Biblical Exegisis
NT History & Theology 1 & 2
OT History & Theology 1 & 2
Eccelesiology
Baptism & Confirmation
Penance
Christian Education
Geography of the Bible
Holy Communion
Marriage
Pastoral Counselling
Parish Administration

This STM was designed as a training ground for traditional Anglican priests so it's light on philosophy and heavy on hands-on sacramentalism. There are so many approaches to the study of theology so you need to decide what sort of theological training you want to receive. I couldn't tell you the first thing about "20th century feminism and the modern church" but I do know how to conduct a funeral, say Mass, and give a half decent sermon. It's up to you what you want.

Hmmm. So I can filter through these types and find one more sciency?
Reply 6
Original post by champ_mc99
Hmmm. So I can filter through these types and find one more sciency?

Pretty much. There are so many different flavors of the subject offered by so many different universities and seminaries. You'll find one that suits your specific interests and needs.
Reply 7
Original post by Howard
Pretty much. There are so many different flavors of the subject offered by so many different universities and seminaries. You'll find one that suits your specific interests and needs.

Cool. Cheers mate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending