Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the course like generally (like are there lots of essays, lecture hours,stressful? etc.)?

How much science, philosophy and history is involved?

ReputationRep:
    I have a higher Masters degree in theology (STM) A lot more history than philosophy. I learned more history studying theology than I ever did studying history. Over the course of my studies I submitted close to half a million words in essays and assignments. It was the most rigorous degree I ever studied for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I have a higher Masters degree in theology (STM) A lot more history than philosophy. I learned more history studying theology than I ever did studying history. Over the course of my studies I submitted close to half a million words in essays and assignments. It was the most rigorous degree I ever studied for.
    Thanks for the reply. The half a million words thing kinda scares me but seems worth it. So how much science is involved (what I'm more interested in)?

ReputationRep:
    I Plan on studying it when i'm a well established millionaire/billionaire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Thanks for the reply. The half a million words thing kinda scares me but seems worth it. So how much science is involved (what I'm more interested in)?
    None at all other than in a historical context. The units I covered were:

Anglican Apologetics
    Catholic Theology
    Church History
    Holy Orders
    Intro to the Bible
    Liturgical Theology
    Biblical Exegisis
    NT History & Theology 1 & 2
    OT History & Theology 1 & 2
    Eccelesiology
    Baptism & Confirmation
    Penance
    Christian Education
    Geography of the Bible
    Holy Communion
    Marriage
    Pastoral Counselling
    Parish Administration

This STM was designed as a training ground for traditional Anglican priests so it's light on philosophy and heavy on hands-on sacramentalism. There are so many approaches to the study of theology so you need to decide what sort of theological training you want to receive. I couldn't tell you the first thing about "20th century feminism and the modern church" but I do know how to conduct a funeral, say Mass, and give a half decent sermon. It's up to you what you want.

ReputationRep:
    None at all other than in a historical context. The units I covered were:

Anglican Apologetics
    Catholic Theology
    Church History
    Holy Orders
    Intro to the Bible
    Liturgical Theology
    Biblical Exegisis
    NT History & Theology 1 & 2
    OT History & Theology 1 & 2
    Eccelesiology
    Baptism & Confirmation
    Penance
    Christian Education
    Geography of the Bible
    Holy Communion
    Marriage
    Pastoral Counselling
    Parish Administration

This STM was designed as a training ground for traditional Anglican priests so it's light on philosophy and heavy on hands-on sacramentalism. There are so many approaches to the study of theology so you need to decide what sort of theological training you want to receive. I couldn't tell you the first thing about "20th century feminism and the modern church" but I do know how to conduct a funeral, say Mass, and give a half decent sermon. It's up to you what you want.
    Hmmm. So I can filter through these types and find one more sciency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Hmmm. So I can filter through these types and find one more sciency?
    Pretty much. There are so many different flavors of the subject offered by so many different universities and seminaries. You'll find one that suits your specific interests and needs.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much. There are so many different flavors of the subject offered by so many different universities and seminaries. You'll find one that suits your specific interests and needs.
    Cool. Cheers mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.