The Student Room Group

Can i get into medical school with these gcse grades if i get AAAA for my AS Levels?

Can I get into medical school with these GCSE grades if I get A-A* for my AS levels and would universities prefer it if I take 4 A levels instead of 3?

These are my GCSE grades
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
History - A
Product Design - A
Art Graphics - A
English Lit - B
English Language - B
French - B

Are they good enough?

I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychoogy and History for my A Levels.
Original post by zakura_x
Can I get into medical school with these GCSE grades if I get A-A* for my AS levels and would universities prefer it if I take 4 A levels instead of 3?

These are my GCSE grades
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
History - A
Product Design - A
Art Graphics - A
English Lit - B
English Language - B
French - B

Are they good enough?

I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychoogy and History for my A Levels.

No preferential treatment is given to candidates offering 4 subjects at A2 Level.
in terms of GCSE grades i would advise you to research in depth the institutions you plan on applying to as some have academic cut off points.

For example, Cardiff Medical school scores GCSE's as follows:

TOP 9 SUBJECTS

A* = 3 points
A = 2 points
B = 1 point

Maximum score of 27 is achievable.

The academic cut off point in previous years has ranged from 24/27 to 26/27. According to the Cardiff University "Information Governance Team"

Most recently being 26/27, this score equates to Cut off point of 8 A* and 1 A in the top 9 GCSE's

with your GCSE results your score would be 17/27 which would make your application to Cardiff medical school uncompetitive.

My advice would be to research the institutions that focus their selection process on other aspects such as Personal statement, Predictions and UKCAT.
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest