Turn on thread page Beta

What exactly did Philippoussis tell the umpire? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3848483.stm

In the third set of his match against Tim Henman today, Philippoussis threw some obscenity at the umpire. I did not quite catch what exactly he said.

The BBC being overly prude, they would not show again what happened. They only apologised for broadcasting the "obscenity".

I'd be glad for a transcript of what Philippoussis said.

P.s. BTW the BBC's apology does not make much sense. You can only apologise for something you're responsible for. So they can't apologise for the actual "obscenity", but only for broadcasting it.

But if they apologise for broadcasting it, they admit that they are somehow at fault, that they should not have broadcasted it.

If they made a mistake (which they admit by apolgising) and apologise for it, it means they have to try to avoid such a mistake in the future.

Yet, they don't do anything about it, they know it could always happen again.

If broadcasting Philippoussis's words was so wrong, ie. worth apologising for, surely it is hypocritical not to try and avoid such a thing to occur again in the future.

Of course, everyone knows that it's impossible for the BBC to avoid that. Otherwise, they would not be able to show Wimbledon live.

So, their apology is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    I put some of what he said in "The Ultimate Tennis Thread".

As far as apologising, I suppose that is what the commentator feel he needed to do, whether they are responsible for it or not.

ReputationRep:
    ''are you kidding me? what kinda ****ing call is that?''
    ''youre ****ing joking right?'' ''thats a ****ing stupid call''
    ''you giving me a warning?''
    ''I should be giving you the ****ing warning, huh? I said I should be giving you the ****ing warning, stupid call''

ReputationRep:
    After the obscenity warning was given to Philippoussis by the umpire, his response was quite amusing.

"Warning?!... I'll give you a warning - you suck!"

something about hearing for the cylops as aman said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3848483.stm

In the third set of his match against Tim Henman today, Philippoussis threw some obscenity at the umpire. I did not quite catch what exactly he said.

The BBC being overly prude, they would not show again what happened. They only apologised for broadcasting the "obscenity".

I'd be glad for a transcript of what Philippoussis said.

P.s. BTW the BBC's apology does not make much sense. You can only apologise for something you're responsible for. So they can't apologise for the actual "obscenity", but only for broadcasting it.

But if they apologise for broadcasting it, they admit that they are somehow at fault, that they should not have broadcasted it.

If they made a mistake (which they admit by apolgising) and apologise for it, it means they have to try to avoid such a mistake in the future.

Yet, they don't do anything about it, they know it could always happen again.

If broadcasting Philippoussis's words was so wrong, ie. worth apologising for, surely it is hypocritical not to try and avoid such a thing to occur again in the future.

Of course, everyone knows that it's impossible for the BBC to avoid that. Otherwise, they would not be able to show Wimbledon live.

So, their apology is absurd.
    i wouldn't say it was absurd, just that they were sorry it was picked up on their microphones- but it is against the rules to say obsenities on court and phillipousis will be fined (liek greg was last year). it was only because he was so close to the umpire that it was even picked up. phillipousis questioned a decision that a ball of tim's hadn't gone out (it actually had)- this was the 3rd time this has happened (and all 3 of them were wrong decisions by the umpire) so phillipousis lost his temper and shouted at the umpire and said the f-word a few times. saying that the BBC's apology is absurd is ridiculous- it's against the rules so they shouldn't have to make allowances for it.

lou xxx

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Phillipoussis was robbed of terrible line calls on about 3 occassions, mainly because the umpire was shocking.

Eventually, Phillipoussis couldn't take it and after another shocker, he said:

"Ohh my fu*ing god, are you blind? It wasn't long but it was well wide! How can you not see that? This is fuc*ing unbelievable!"

Umpire: Gives warning for bad language.

Phillipoussi again: "How the fu*k can you give me a warning when the ball was out by that much? I should be the one giving you the warning, you're a disagrace."

Not word for word, but pretty much that.

ReputationRep:
    After Henman tried to put on a slight angry front to of no effect

haha

ReputationRep:
    Henman also complained when one of Philiposusis's serves was out.

"That serve was out. Why are you making so many mistakes. When I serve, you call it out, and then when he serves, you do it too".

The expletives were screened before 9pm - therefore it is the commentators' duty to apologise to the audience.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, in addition, "You suck!"

Which was certainly true - I've never seen so many poor decisions in a tennis match.

To indicate how bad he was: He was the tennis ref equivalent of Urs Maier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Checkey)

To indicate how bad he was: He was the tennis ref equivalent of Urs Maier!

well maybe if Henman had went on to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    Henman also complained when one of Philiposusis's serves was out.

"That serve was out. Why are you making so many mistakes. When I serve, you call it out, and then when he serves, you do it too".

The expletives were screened before 9pm - therefore it is the commentators' duty to apologise to the audience.
    Yep - Even henman backed Phillipoussis up (not directly) and screamed at the umpire for shocking decisions.

In all, there were about 6 terrible decisions for Phillipoussis and 3 for Henman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    well maybe if Henman had went on to lose
    LOL - He was bad for both players but he was worst for Phillipoussis; he got the worser end of his blindness.

ReputationRep:
    damn it, i've missed the best bits! i only caught the end when i got home, and as usual tiger tim is trying to kill us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Checkey)
    LOL - He was bad for both players but he was worst for Phillipoussis; he got the worser end of his blindness.
    and they were on quite crucial points- a couple of times it would have broken henman's serve and won that game- def could have changed the 2nd set. phillipousis will get fined but hopefully he will put in a complaint about the umpire- it was shocking.

i guess it brings the whole argument about whether video footage should be used to check dodgy calls- if the commentators can see the ball was out, why shouldn't the umpire? it works well in rugby

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    and they were on quite crucial points- a couple of times it would have broken henman's serve and won that game- def could have changed the 2nd set. phillipousis will get fined but hopefully he will put in a complaint about the umpire- it was shocking.

i guess it brings the whole argument about whether video footage should be used to check dodgy calls- if the commentators can see the ball was out, why shouldn't the umpire? it works well in rugby

lou xxx
    also they use the exact same thing as in cricket, that hawk eye thing, and that can checked in seconds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    also they use the exact same thing as in cricket, that hawk eye thing, and that can checked in seconds!
    it just seems the sensible thing to do in matches where a wrong decision can cost the game. and ridiculous that as you're watching the umpire say his decision was right, the commentators prove it wasn't. seems silly to have the technology and not use it when it works so well in other sports

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    it just seems the sensible thing to do in matches where a wrong decision can cost the game. and ridiculous that as you're watching the umpire say his decision was right, the commentators prove it wasn't. seems silly to have the technology and not use it when it works so well in other sports

lou xxx
    yeah i agree, in some other sports it might be not as useful. but it would work so well in tennis. where most of the decisions are black and white. and that computer simulation thing can see all that!

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say it was absurd, just that they were sorry it was picked up on their microphones- but it is against the rules to say obsenities on court and phillipousis will be fined (liek greg was last year). it was only because he was so close to the umpire that it was even picked up. phillipousis questioned a decision that a ball of tim's hadn't gone out (it actually had)- this was the 3rd time this has happened (and all 3 of them were wrong decisions by the umpire) so phillipousis lost his temper and shouted at the umpire and said the f-word a few times. saying that the BBC's apology is absurd is ridiculous- it's against the rules so they shouldn't have to make allowances for it.

lou xxx

lou xxx
    You're not dealing with my point.

How can they apologise for something they could not stop from happening? How can they apologise for something they have no intention to try to avoid in the future? (As I stated above, the only solution would be to stop broadcasting live, which would just be ridiculous)

The BBC have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to apologise for.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the story about wimbledon rain and ticket refunds just out of interest?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.