Turn on thread page Beta

What exactly did Philippoussis tell the umpire? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    it just seems the sensible thing to do in matches where a wrong decision can cost the game. and ridiculous that as you're watching the umpire say his decision was right, the commentators prove it wasn't. seems silly to have the technology and not use it when it works so well in other sports

lou xxx
    Yes I completely 100% agree - It's annoying that in an important point where the decision is wrong, the commentator then does a slow replay and show the ball to be clearly out - Why can't they just quickley ask the commentators, or have a screen to show it come up?

It's the hawk eye thingy, a computer simulation of the ball.

I can't believe that they haven't used this to correct bad calls?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ''are you kidding me? what kinda ****ing call is that?''
    ''youre ****ing joking right?'' ''thats a ****ing stupid call''
    ''you giving me a warning?''
    ''I should be giving you the ****ing warning, huh? I said I should be giving you the ****ing warning, stupid call''
    He didn't say that. He used the F word 1nce I think, then proceeded to tell the umpire how much he sucked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    He didn't say that. He used the F word 1nce I think, then proceeded to tell the umpire how much he sucked.
    nah i heard him say it at least twice, possibly 3 times

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    You're not dealing with my point.

How can they apologise for something they could not stop from happening? How can they apologise for something they have no intention to try to avoid in the future? (As I stated above, the only solution would be to stop broadcasting live, which would just be ridiculous)

The BBC have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to apologise for.
    they can do their best to stop it happening by workign with the tennis association and making it a rule that swearing is not allowed on broadcasted games- and this has been done.

it's not the BBC's fault, but they'd be stupid not to say anything about the f-word being broadcast at 7.30. the solution is to try and prevent it by fining players who do it (like greg last year). i don't think the apology is absurd though- just shows that they are aware it was innapropriate + it would damage their image if they were seen to condone it by not saying anything. stop trying to argue something so pathetic.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah i agree, in some other sports it might be not as useful. but it would work so well in tennis. where most of the decisions are black and white. and that computer simulation thing can see all that!

Hawkeye Technology is being implemented in a form of tennis called "SuperSet Tennis".

One of their events is happening at Wembley Arena in October, and will feature Ginepri, Henman, Goran, Rusedski, McEnroe, Nadal and 2 players TBC.

Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, Final, all one set each - winner takes all £250K.

Scoring as usual, EXCEPT players can appeal all calls made by the Chair / Linespersons to be reviewed by Hawkeye, shown on courtside monitors, and on 30 ft screens at each end of the court.

Hawkeye has the deciding call.

If they lose 3 appeals in the set, they lose the last point awarded.

Set must be won by 2 clear games, however, if one player gets to 10 games, then it goes to a standard tie breaker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ''are you kidding me? what kinda ****ing call is that?''
    ''youre ****ing joking right?'' ''thats a ****ing stupid call''
    ''you giving me a warning?''
    ''I should be giving you the ****ing warning, huh? I said I should be giving you the ****ing warning, stupid call''

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    they can do their best to stop it happening by workign with the tennis association and making it a rule that swearing is not allowed on broadcasted games- and this has been done.

it's not the BBC's fault, but they'd be stupid not to say anything about the f-word being broadcast at 7.30. the solution is to try and prevent it by fining players who do it (like greg last year). i don't think the apology is absurd though- just shows that they are aware it was innapropriate + it would damage their image if they were seen to condone it by not saying anything. stop trying to argue something so pathetic.

lou xxx
    Last year the BBC apologised on behalf of Greg Rusedski at the time of the broadcast - and I agree, although it's not the fault of the BBC, they have a duty to the viewers not to broadcast swearing pre-watershed.

It's just a case of covering their backs in case of any complaints coming in to the Broadcasting Complaints Commission - and I have no doubt at all that some woman with nothing better to do, will make out that she was disgusted and offended, and that the BBC should be ashamed - obviously she'll get no where with the complaint, but it's just case of jumping hoops that the BBC (and all broadcasters, TV and Radio) have to go through.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.