Animal Work Experience Watch

ForbiddenThorns
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am 16 don't drive and live in Bournemouth can you suggest any animal places reptile, farm, kennels, groomers near (ish) me that would take me on! Also does anyone know any Zoo's that accept people my age. Am willing to travel to a zoo as so worth it if I can get a placement
PurplePixie96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd recommend looking for shelters, most of them always want volunteers. Zoos and vets etc. are a bit iffy as some want you to have lots of experience or you to be enrolled in a vet course already and zoos prefer volunteers to be over the age of 18.

Your safest bet is a shelter, a farm or pet shop. Be aware that being on a farm will be hard work, you'll be mucking out and sorting out feeds which can be in heavy bags and you might be faced with seeing some not so pretty aspects of farm life.

(I study Applied Animal Studies at Uni and I've had a nightmare finding a placement!)
ForbiddenThorns
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PurplePixie96)
I'd recommend looking for shelters, most of them always want volunteers. Zoos and vets etc. are a bit iffy as some want you to have lots of experience or you to be enrolled in a vet course already and zoos prefer volunteers to be over the age of 18.

Your safest bet is a shelter, a farm or pet shop. Be aware that being on a farm will be hard work, you'll be mucking out and sorting out feeds which can be in heavy bags and you might be faced with seeing some not so pretty aspects of farm life.

(I study Applied Animal Studies at Uni and I've had a nightmare finding a placement!)
Thanks alot I will look for that I just need some varied stuff from regular vet practice so I can show I have a spread of experience.
PurplePixie96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
See if theres a pets at home with a groomers near you, they might let you sweep up fur. Work experience is never glamorous
lostandfound86
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ForbiddenThorns)
I am 16 don't drive and live in Bournemouth can you suggest any animal places reptile, farm, kennels, groomers near (ish) me that would take me on! Also does anyone know any Zoo's that accept people my age. Am willing to travel to a zoo as so worth it if I can get a placement
Do you want to work in zoos? farms? If you're an animal lover and just up for taking care of animals as your hobby, maybe you can make your own mini zoo and start with few animals you like.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ForbiddenThorns)
You'd be very lucky to get any experience at a zoo. There is so much competition and a lot of waiting lists. When I was applying a couple of years ago the zoo near me had a waiting list of a year to get work experience there.

Vet practices are also quite competitive, and in my experience don't like taking on people for work experience.

You may also run into trouble because of your age, a lot of places will say they won't take you because of liability and insurance reasons.

I ended up working at a kennels and cattery. Don't underestimate how much hard and physical work it is! For the first few days I was almost in tears from the pain.

I'm not from your areas so can't suggest anywhere. But go on google maps for your area and type in key words like "kennels" "vet" "cattery" ect and see what you can find. Take a bit of initiative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (22)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.15%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.18%

Watched Threads