Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently about 8 months in to a 2 year graduate scheme. It's in an industry that I thought I would love, but I'm starting to realise I actually quite dislike it. There's nothing wrong with the company or the job, it just isn't where my interests lie and I have no ambitions to go any further in the industry.

Having thought about what I enjoy now and have done in the past, I've decided that what I want to do the GDL, ideally starting in September 2016.

However, my question is, would it look as awful as I imagine it would on my CV, if I walked out of a good job with a reputable company half way through the scheme? Would law firms look on this in a negative light?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glos91)
    Hi,

I'm currently about 8 months in to a 2 year graduate scheme. It's in an industry that I thought I would love, but I'm starting to realise I actually quite dislike it. There's nothing wrong with the company or the job, it just isn't where my interests lie and I have no ambitions to go any further in the industry.

Having thought about what I enjoy now and have done in the past, I've decided that what I want to do the GDL, ideally starting in September 2016.

However, my question is, would it look as awful as I imagine it would on my CV, if I walked out of a good job with a reputable company half way through the scheme? Would law firms look on this in a negative light?

Thanks
    The only question that will come up is will the things that make you hate your job and want to leave also be present in a career in law. I have lost count how many people I have met who have thought pursuing a career in law would be dramatically different to their current career, but the things that frustrate them are equally as prevalent (and sometimes more so) as a trainee solicitor/junior lawyer.

If it is a really carefully thought out decision, then sure do it. But too many people rush into the GDL thinking law will be for them without really working out if it is.

What many would try first is to secure a TC and then leave once a TC is in the bag.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Nope id finish it, save money and also see if you cna get experience relevant to law within your organisation.
    Applu for tcs and get someone to pay for your gdl. Imo you will look stronger if you finish the scheme.

If you have good connections, academics and, experience, then you could try it, but I would play the medium game.

ReputationRep:
    go for interviews whilst you are in your job

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.