lucyrobyn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
SO, please enlighten me, why do you all want to be architects? and how are you sure that its definately right for you?

(the following wil probably tell u that i really need a shrink!, dont read if you arent bothered about other peoples predicaments and helping them, coz ull just be bord!)

im currently having a pre-midlife, personality crisis. having spent my whole life wanting to be a vet more than anything in the world, doing all the work experience (alot of it) and working my ass off acidemically, i have not gotten firm acceotance and have been asked for grades i dont think i have met.

it has only recently occured to me that perhaps i dont want to be a vet. the course most definately the hardest, and after doing 6 yrs of solid science i have begun to resent it. . . . .with my grades i could get into any science degree course in scotland, but it would be my worst nightmare!! i dont know wether i have completely loved all of my work exp, or wether i have just convinced myself because i have been totally obseesed with the goal of getting into vet school.

one thing i have always been interested in is buildings, i love 'grand designs', and am facinated by buildings, how they are built and the design of them, the renovation of old buildings and the melding of old and new, traditional and modern. i am a very precise and intricate person, definately a perfectionist. all of these things make me feel as though i would enjoy architecture.

my one problem is that i have never taken art or any art courses. i always liked them but had to drop them to take sciences, my dad is a successful artist, as is my auntie and grandmother, my grandfather was a photographer and my mother makes models, ornaments and pottery and my sister got an A in higher art. it seems like art is all around me and as though i just never gave it a chance because i was a science person. everybody always told me i was going to be a vet or scientist and perhaps that has been engrained in me.

this has turned out to be a very unfocused ramble, but i dont know who i am, (or perhaps im just finding out!), i dont know what i want and i know that i have to figure it out for myself. but please helps me!

do you think iv lost the plot? that iv only given up on vet because im finding it too hard (but really its what i really want)?, or do you think that im just working out who i am and disguarding an old, irrelevant dream?

(and go you think a love for 'grand designs' is a bit of a flimsy reason to want to be an architect, am i just clinging at straws!)
rmyl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lucyrobyn)
SO, please enlighten me, why do you all want to be architects? and how are you sure that its definitely right for you?
Pretty much exactly the reason that you've put! --------->

one thing i have always been interested in is buildings, i love 'grand designs', and am facinated by buildings, how they are built and the design of them, the renovation of old buildings and the melding of old and new, traditional and modern. i am a very precise and intricate person, definitely a perfectionist. all of these things make me feel as though i would enjoy architecture.
i know its right for me, because i've worked in an architects for almost a year and a half and had one year at uni so far, and i find that its the most rewarding and interesting subject! i can sit down and work on a design and not see the light of day for days, not just because i have to, but because i love to! you get completely absorbed into your work, and in the professional world you get to see your work realised, however small or large the project is!

do you think iv lost the plot?
not in the slightest! i think its healthy to question your likes and dislikes. just realise that both becoming a vet and becoming an architect both require a lot of education and dedication, and altho it can be done, i personally wouldn't want to go into one career and then switch, as they're both very long and you only become established in both jobs after a fairly long time!

that iv only given up on vet because im finding it too hard (but really its what i really want)?
i'm afraid, no-one can answer that. every job has its downsides, but you have to decide whether they out weigh the good points and whether your reasons for doing the degree/job are definitely your choice, not others. it sounds like you're not sure about this at all.

, or do you think that im just working out who i am and disguarding an old, irrelevant dream?
it is possible, but at least you're approaching it before you get deeper into something. i'd never say any dream is irrelevant though, dreams come from desiring something you don't have in life, so maybe those desires have changed?

(and go you think a love for 'grand designs' is a bit of a flimsy reason to want to be an architect, am i just clinging at straws!)
not at all!! its an insight into the world of construction and architecture. ok, its not always the most in-depth program, but i like watching it! it's one of the few mainstream tv architecture programs, so it's inevitable that its an inspiration and a starting point!

hope that helps!
sorry if i rambled!
rmyl xxx
lucyrobyn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
cheers. work experience here i come. .
Dust-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Last Year I was set on doing Medicine (close to vetenry with the need for experience and such)! When I was little I always loved art, but then I decided I was a science person, but I kept art because I felt if I hadn't I would have done drawings anyway. About November time I realised Medicine wasn't what I wanted to be doing. I thought that some of my back up choices were more intersting and ultimately I didnt want to do a course that I didnt really find interesting just to be a doctor.
After considering my options in the Art world I thought Architecture would give me a career and allow me to be creative and now I know more about the course it seems perfect, it has everything art-related that I love and theres an intellectual side and psychological aspects which I find really interesting.
I hope that my experience helps you because I have been through the same thing. It wasn't nice not knowing where you are going especially when its such a stressful time of year! Just remember there are millions of courses out there, so don't feel like you have to settle for one you only like certain aspects of, another course may have everything you like.
(hope this isn't too long to read!) Good Luck
s.h.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the reason y i want to do architecture is because it is the only course that combines technology with culture. u mite want to bear that in mind . and i think architecture is more than a course to be studied, it is more like a hobby.
jrhartley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the reason i want to do architecture is to attract edgy, arty, intelligent yet sexy women. i really am that shallow, which is why once i know what i'm up to i'll probably go and do some vso work building shelters / schools etc in less-developed nations.

more seriously though, it is a good blend of practical hands-on stuff and intellectual research, emotional and functional responses to problems.
jrhartley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the reason i want to do architecture is to attract edgy, arty, intelligent yet sexy women. i really am that shallow, which is why once i know what i'm up to i'll probably go and do some vso work building shelters / schools etc in less-developed nations.

more seriously though, it is a good blend of practical hands-on stuff and intellectual research, emotional and functional responses to problems.
s.h.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well i aggree with jrhartley, attracting sexy women was in my list aswell, i think i was being more serious in my message
lambzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the main reason i want to become an architect is being able to say one day "i designed that"

obviously once its been built lol
goodbyecasio
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jrhartley)

basically, didn't men vote on that sexiest careers survey that female architects were rubbish? which brings me to the answer of this thread - i don't want to be an architect. i plan to marry one, though.

on a more serious note, at the moment i want to do the course because it's better than any other art courses in preparing you for a diverse field of design, and if i change my mind, i can plod on and be an architect.
s.h.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i was always certain that i would either do architecture or product design or industrial design. but i thought if i be an architect i could always do product design, however if i did product design in uni, i cant become an architect...
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by s.h.)
i was always certain that i would either do architecture or product design or industrial design. but i thought if i be an architect i could always do product design, however if i did product design in uni, i cant become an architect...

this one one of my reasons too.

but i'm still undecided about becoming a architect. i love to sovle real life problems in the built environment like drainage, transport planning, urban redevelopment and sustainability, so i can make a better difference to the way everyone lives.
this lead me to civil engineering but i realised there was a lack of designing and creavity, so in the end i ended up following the architecture path.
s.h.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think you ve done the right thing.
Dav'
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Main reason for me was being brought up in Construction. (Dad owns a Scaffolding Company) and Uncle is a site manager.

So I decided to go straight into labouring for my uncle from 16. (Part Time). Went to college for 2 years to study Construction. (BTEC). Got the highest achiever award, got a few awards for work and ****, from a local construction company (Seddon). Went for interviews for Architecture at uni, got offered a place for Liverpool, Manchester and Bristol. (Made the mistake of applying before I visited). Went to visit and didn't like any of the courses (to artistic, after being in construction all my life). Applied late to Nottingham Trent and UClan to study Architectural Technology. Got in at Trent.

Thats how I got into it, and I love it. Now learing about design concepts, but how constructional issues are addressed and created, using technology. Roll on my placement next year!. Shame I'l be earning less money than all you Architects. Hahaha. Then again, I don't think I'd enjoy the design related aspect of Full on Architecture.
heavenlight
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
some said about culture and that is one the reasons for me... secondly i want to learn about Muslim Architecture and make a real difference because people are forgetting about the history of architecture and Islamic Architecture and i want to re-touch on it...
AlexAAT
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Laique)
some said about culture and that is one the reasons for me... secondly i want to learn about Muslim Architecture and make a real difference because people are forgetting about the history of architecture and Islamic Architecture and i want to re-touch on it...
so do I, revive the moorish architecture and its place in spanish heritage

i'm not a muslim however.
s.h.
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
same, i would like to have an influence on historical buildings. and i like the clash of old and new, like the reichstag for foster
MrStick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why do I want to be an architect?

Well, I myself have also been fascinated and intrigued by buildings - the way they are design, built, the interior, the purpose of it and the effect it has on people. I wish to one day aid people in designing thier shelter. As buildings are vital and essential in everyone lives. It is something that is needed and shared. Everyone needs shelter, a place to stay, and I wish to be a person that provides this for others. Also, architecture evolves around 3 main concepts as 1 architect pointed out:
Durability - it should stand up robustly and remain in good condition.
Utility - it should be useful and function well for the people using it.
Beauty - it should delight people and raise their spirits.

And all these 3 things is what keeps me most interested. I want others to see the beauty in buildings, not just from the outside but also from the inside, as the inside is just as important as the outside - both have to fit the needs of people, society, be egornomically friendly to the environment and let of a beautiful view and mood.

At first I was reluctent about choosing it, but after a lot of thought and research and work at school, I found that its the right thing for me and that I will be suitable for it.
Islamic Architecture is another thing which I love. The best Islamic Architecture is the mosque in Makkah, where Muslims go for pilgrimage. If you have the chance, check it out, it is absolutely beautiful and astonishing. In my opinion, its the best Architectural building I have ever seen, then comes the Gherkin in London, Burj Hotel in Dubai, oh and also another mosque in Madinah.

Hope that helps and sorry if I just waffled a lot xD
Quiller
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ha you revived a thread after a year and a half!! respect!
flamingo
Report 11 years ago
wow, this is so similar to my situation it is unreal.

I wanted to be a vet for a long time, got as much work experience as I could and when it came to applying for university I paniced thinking I wouldn't get the grades and applied for anmial science degrees.

As it turns out I got ABB in sciences and maths so could have got in to a vet school with those, but by the time I had my grades I was already doubting whether it had really ever been what I wanted for myself or like you say what you were expected to do because of originally liking sceincey type stuff (don't get me wrong, I really do love chemistry and biology).

Anyway so I decided to cancelle my uni application for 2008 and am currently working as an assistant in a pharmacy. This made me consider pharmacy, but deep down I always knew I wanted to do something creative as even though I didnt even do art at GCSE ever since I can remember I've been creating things with anything I could get my hands on, I'm not exactly surrounded by art but a good friend of mine is a successful photographer (I have a big passion for photography too, the whole process captivates me) and my sister is a wounderful artist.

Anyway long story short I'm working on building up my art portfolio so that I might have a chance of getting on a architecture degree, and now I'm focusing on this I realise that I would have been so much happier if I had know that this is what I wanted to do a long time ago.

I think you are just realising who you are, sometimes we miss the things that we just do naturally if we're desperately trying to figure out who we're ment to be. Just see how it feels I think, maybe get to work on a portfolio, thats what made me certain anyway.

Oh and don't panic I think everyone must have a bit of a 'argh am I doing the right thing with my life' moment at some point, just others arn't as good at admitting it and go off down the same old route (can't remember what % it was but I heard a survey once say that most people in the UK feel they are in the wrong proffession). Chill it will come together in the end even though it might seem like a bit of a mess in your head right now.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads