The Student Room Group

Are corsa's really that bad?

Scroll to see replies

I learned to drive in a Corsa and it was a fabulous little car. When I got my first car, I actually missed driving the corsa as it was great ! :smile:

What you are best doing is go to Arnold Clark or Motorpoint etc and test drive one yourself. I have never heard of anyone that I know having problems with their Corsas
Reply 21
Yeah, I'm in the pro corsa crowd, both my first 2 cars have been Corsas and have generally been absolutely fine, my first one lasted 5 years and was remarkably reliable, yes I had to spend some money on it now and again of course, but I'd definitely recommend them as a good first car.
Yep they do have problems, like many cars do. But they are more affordable to fix.
Reply 23
Original post by Juno
No. The cars you've mentioned are expensive. I could even understand them being called ridiculous. But they're not as lovely as a corsa.

Drivel.
Reply 24
Original post by JC.
Drivel.

I like you. You're funny.
I actually went and bought the brand new VXR 6 months ago, fantastic car to drive! Coming from the Corsa D (which was terrible and yes sadly I had the non limited edition edition) someone said they are uncomfortable for long journeys, what a load of tosh! Although it is a £20,000 when specced up on leather, heated seats & wheel, 18"alloys, glass panoramic sunroof etc 😂 So maybe out your budget? I did have a original corsa E though before jumping up again new, was much improved from the corsa D.
i bought a brand new fiat grande punto 1.4 sport 3 door in jungle grey back in 2007. loved the look. hated the drive. no power so gutless. piston slap from engine which fiat said was normal(they would). horrible rubbery gearchange with grinding if put into 1st at more than 5mph.(normal). clunk from front of car whenever foot lifted off throttle especially in traffic.( normal). no feel electric power steering far too light and transmits NO feedback to driver.(normal) door lock broke at 2 weeks old and when i phoned dealership the girl said OH NO PROBLEM WEVE GOT THE PARTS HERE TO REPAIR THAT.THEY ALL BREAK SIR!! dashboard went all distorted by the windscreen in the sun and never went back to how it should have looked. it was just a load of garbage to be honest and finished me with buying any fiat ever again. disposed of it at 1 year old and bought a used honda instead.(no probs at all with that one).
Reply 27
Original post by ye auld student
i bought a brand new fiat grande punto 1.4 sport 3 door in jungle grey back in 2007. loved the look. hated the drive. no power so gutless. piston slap from engine which fiat said was normal(they would). horrible rubbery gearchange with grinding if put into 1st at more than 5mph.(normal). clunk from front of car whenever foot lifted off throttle especially in traffic.( normal). no feel electric power steering far too light and transmits NO feedback to driver.(normal) door lock broke at 2 weeks old and when i phoned dealership the girl said OH NO PROBLEM WEVE GOT THE PARTS HERE TO REPAIR THAT.THEY ALL BREAK SIR!! dashboard went all distorted by the windscreen in the sun and never went back to how it should have looked. it was just a load of garbage to be honest and finished me with buying any fiat ever again. disposed of it at 1 year old and bought a used honda instead.(no probs at all with that one).

What has this got to do with a Corsa?
My 08 Corsa D rotted through in under a decade so won't go near one again, admittedly the suspension was also rotted but worst car of 4 i've ever owned/drove. Also as a Scot I now associate the brand with Brexit in the same way as Weatherspoons, so 'urgh'.

(I hated mine enough not to care it's a years old thread, people need to know :P )
(edited 4 years ago)
Vauxhall is owned by GM, this is why they have generally poor quality. I would avoid thw corsa because Vauxhalls are generally nasty, and anyone who denies this probably only drives vauxhalls and has never driven anything nice or well engineered.
Reply 30
Original post by AH-64 APACHE
Vauxhall is owned by GM

No it's not.
I like them. I think there better than all Fiat, Nissan, Renault cars.
Original post by IWMTom

puntos from the mid 00s shared the same chassis as corsa d (apart from that no idea)
Original post by IWMTom
No it's not.

use to be, now its PSA Fiat Chrysler (fiat and PSA (peugeot, citroen) agreed to merge at the end of last year). In fact, the new corsa is more or less the new 208 (with a more analoge cabin and better suspension from what I gather - downside is legroom is supposed to be bad)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by quasa
use to be, now its PSA Fiat Chrysler (fiat and PSA (peugeot, citroen) agreed to merge at the end of last year). In fact, the new corsa is more or less the new 208 (with a more analoge cabin and better suspension from what I gather - downside is legroom is supposed to be bad)

I'm aware. Point is, it's not owned by GM.
Original post by IWMTom
I'm aware. Point is, it's not owned by GM.

fair enough. in any case, im very curious to know however how the gm developed new corsa would have turned out. from what I gather, it would have had a bigger interior and more powerful engines than the 208 based one, however it would have been a lot heavier.
Not as bad as Vauxhalls
Original post by ramo55
So I'm after my first car like many on here and like most first time drivers I wanted to go for a corsa. Now the issue is that I'm hearing alot of people say "stay away from corsa's they're a money pit" and I just wanted to know if this was true?

From a first time driver's point of view, a corsa is an ideal car because of how cheap and small it is, but if it's going to be something that I need to spend money on every now and then, then it might not be a good idea after all?

Any car is a money pit if you don't care for it properly, or the previous owner didn't.
Original post by IWMTom

He has failed the Turing Test, that's what it has.
Reply 39
Had a 1.0 2008 corsa which had its timing chain fail at 65k miles. Luckily got rid of it a few hundred miles before the engine went out. Rear arches were rusted, bonnet was rusted. Apart from that solid car with no faults apart from the tappets making the engine sound like a diesel. This car had a full vauxhall service history too, make of that what you will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending