The Student Room Group

Can a 1 litre corsa carry 5 passengers?

Just wanted to know before I commit to buying anything. Can 1 litre corsa's carry 5 people with ease and go up hills and so on or will it have problems doing so? I heard a few people say this but I wasn't 100% sure if it was true.

And finally what about the 1.2l versions? Would they be okay for carrying 5 people?

I'v seen 1 litre corsa's with 5 doors meaning it's supposed to be used by 5 people but I wasn't sure if it having 5 doors meant that it was okay to be driven around with 5 people in it or would you need less people?

Scroll to see replies

yeah of course, it'll just be way slower lol
Reply 2
I had a 2009 1.2corsa a few years back and it struggled on some hills when full, such as the A23 at Handcross
Reply 3
The wheels aren't going to fall off or anything, you'll just be rowing gears a lot and be down to third and second gear for the big hills. My old 1.4 Golf would need to go down to fourth with just me in it on the hills of the Welsh bit of the M4 but my Passat will go up them in sixth gear with five people and towing a trailer. You'll just have to live with a slow car for a couple of years! Oh, also, your mates might not enjoy going three in the back, but who cares about them!
Original post by ramo55
Just wanted to know before I commit to buying anything. Can 1 litre corsa's carry 5 people with ease and go up hills and so on or will it have problems doing so? I heard a few people say this but I wasn't 100% sure if it was true.

And finally what about the 1.2l versions? Would they be okay for carrying 5 people?

I'v seen 1 litre corsa's with 5 doors meaning it's supposed to be used by 5 people but I wasn't sure if it having 5 doors meant that it was okay to be driven around with 5 people in it or would you need less people?

I know its a different car but my old 1l micra used to carry 5 people and go up hills etc. Id imagine the corsa should be able to do as well.
Original post by ramo55

technically yes, reality...good luck son.

I have a 1.0L naturally aspirated corsa and, fully loaded it takes from bell common tunnel to the junction for m11 on the m25 just to go from 0-60 fully loaded (but it is fun to drive at high speed because of the instability at 80-odd mph in the fast lane around bends :smile: )
I should also add, if it is a new corsa, then the 1.0 is actually more powerful as it is turbo charged (1.0L turbo == 1.7l naturally aspirated in terms of power and torque)
Reply 7
Passengers get in the way. You look in the mirrors and it's like "argh, people"
Reply 8
Depends on their sizes!!
Reply 9
Does it have five seats? If so your answer is yes.
the 1l three cylinder N/A strugglesin both in the corsa C and D when loaded , the 1.2 is fine in a corsa C, but hard work in the D or E ,

the new 1l turbo i don;t know ( never driven one)

1.3 CDTI is also a consideration as long as you do reasonable mileage and long enough runs to justify a diesel ( in the corsa C it doesn;t have a dpf but it;s euro 4 , i don;t know about euro 5 version in later ones )
Original post by ramo55

I suppose you could get 5 people in a Corsa with ease. I've seen that sort of number of people on mopeds in documentaries about India where everyone is skint. Bear in mind that 5 people in a corsa will have a power to weight ratio similar to a skateboard with an elephant on it. To get it up a hill would probably require some of your 5 people to get out and push.
Reply 12
Corsa's can barely drag themselves around.
Whilst it *can* do it... it won't do the job well.
Reply 13
Original post by ramo55

It's not one door per person.

Otherwise buses would have a problem.
Original post by ramo55

If you overload it the cam belt could snap and that could wreck the engine :frown:
No.

It can carry 1 driver and 4 passengers.
I've been in a 1L Corsa with 5 doors (it's not mine btw).
There weren't any issues really. It's not gonna be quick, but there's 5 seats for a reason!
Original post by Ambitious1999
If you overload it the cam belt could snap and that could wreck the engine :frown:

Lol what?

Original post by Nuffles
Lol what?

Depends on whether the engine is interference or non-interference.
True that high revs will ruin a cam belt faster though.

Luckily my Ford KA 1.2 (new model not the old rust bucket) is non-interference so I happily rev it around the A roads and motorways not too worried if the cam belt does snap.
Reply 19

Bull ****.
If that were the case the belt would snap every time the engine is stalled.

Latest

Trending

Trending