Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was looking for a bit of advice..

I am currently doing an access to higher education with business, I applied for UOB and Aston as they are both local to me and have good reputations. I only received a C in maths and C in English so in order to get into Birmingham I would need to re take these exams and aim for a B or better. Whereas If I go to Aston I just need to do well on my access course.

I had to pay for the exams as originally Aston rejected my application but have since changed their mind. Now I’m in a position where If I want to go to Birmingham I need to revise even harder, taking time away from doing my assignments, whilst the exams fall within a few days of my Business exams. This takes a lot of time away from my business revision as I have no maths or English tutor and have to self-teach myself these subjects in a short period of time (exams are start of June).

Is Birmingham really worth the added stress and pressure or is Aston equally as good (maybe they just had a band year for the rankings). I don’t want to risk messing up my access course but of course I want to go to the best University possible. Also I heard Aston do a year in employment? Is that something that might give Aston a real advantage?

Thanks for reading!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by stuboy92)
    I was looking for a bit of advice..

I am currently doing an access to higher education with business, I applied for UOB and Aston as they are both local to me and have good reputations. I only received a C in maths and C in English so in order to get into Birmingham I would need to re take these exams and aim for a B or better. Whereas If I go to Aston I just need to do well on my access course.

I had to pay for the exams as originally Aston rejected my application but have since changed their mind. Now I’m in a position where If I want to go to Birmingham I need to revise even harder, taking time away from doing my assignments, whilst the exams fall within a few days of my Business exams. This takes a lot of time away from my business revision as I have no maths or English tutor and have to self-teach myself these subjects in a short period of time (exams are start of June).

Is Birmingham really worth the added stress and pressure or is Aston equally as good (maybe they just had a band year for the rankings). I don’t want to risk messing up my access course but of course I want to go to the best University possible. Also I heard Aston do a year in employment? Is that something that might give Aston a real advantage?

Thanks for reading!
    Hi,

Congrats on your offer, we do indeed offer an inbuilt placement year on all of our undergraduate courses, this is mandatory in courses ran by our Business school. A number of our students work for global companies and take placement years abroad. Along with gaining experience at SME's in the West Midlands.

If you have any more questions i'm a 2014 graduate and would be happy to talk anything Aston with you.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi,

Congrats on your offer, we do indeed offer an inbuilt placement year on all of our undergraduate courses, this is mandatory in courses ran by our Business school. A number of our students work for global companies and take placement years abroad. Along with gaining experience at SME's in the West Midlands.

If you have any more questions i'm a 2014 graduate and would be happy to talk anything Aston with you.

Josh
    Thanks! I was also wondering what the year in employment is like? I like the idea of studying abroad, more specifically Singapore. But how competitive is it in comparison to staying in the UK and how practical is it i.e accommodation and travel costs? Might be a loaded question but any feedback is great!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by stuboy92)
    Thanks! I was also wondering what the year in employment is like? I like the idea of studying abroad, more specifically Singapore. But how competitive is it in comparison to staying in the UK and how practical is it i.e accommodation and travel costs? Might be a loaded question but any feedback is great!
    Your year in employment will differ greatly depending on what you want to do, you'll still have to go out and interview and secure a placement. But our in-house placement team will support you will all stages of the process.

To give you an example at different ends of the scale: Two of my friends had polar opposite experiences one worked for Pepsi Co and helped in with their production processes and supply chain management. He's now employed by BAE systems and helps build nuclear submarines.

In another example a friend of mine studying languages went to Japan for a year to teach English, he lived with a foster family and and had an amazing year balancing work and tourism.

I hate to sound cliche, but placement year is really what you make of it and the direction you wish to take. You can even start your own business through our BSeen project.

Hope that helps.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    Are you finding it hard to catch up or get ahead in your courses during reading week? Don’t waste the time that’s left, and instead reach out to me so I can help you with your essays! I help students with their papers on a full-time basis, whether that entails editing your paper or writing it from scratch, I’ve got your back! Stop suffering and enhance your grades! I hold a master’s degree from the University of Toronto and know what it’s like to perform under pressure all too well. Relieve some of that stress and get in touch via info(at)ontimeessays.com

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.