Should there be an age cap on voting in the EU referendum?

Watch
MarleyZ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone seen this 'Talk to Gran' campaign to oppose Brexit? It's getting young people to persuade their older relatives to vote against leaving the EU.

Should people over 60 even be allowed to vote in the EU referendum as they're more than likely retired (or nearly) and the decision will have more of an impact on younger generations?

The i newspaper interviewed members of TSR about the campaign if you fancy a read I've included the article clipping

Name:  13 04 16 - i Newspaper.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  532.0 KB
Elizabeth II
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MarleyZ)
Anyone seen this 'Talk to Gran' campaign to oppose Brexit? It's getting young people to persuade their older relatives to vote against leaving the EU.

Should people over 60 even be allowed to vote in the EU referendum as they're more than likely retired (or nearly) and the decision will have more of an impact on younger generations?

The i newspaper interviewed members of TSR about the campaign if you fancy a read I've included the article clipping

I don't think there should be an age cap as such. But the whole idea of this 'talk to gran' thing is incredibly insulting imo. Just because someone's over a certain age, doesn't automatically make them politically inept or unable to think for themselves — I for one, would want to make my own mind up.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sound like another clutch of tossers trying to force their agenda out.
I doubt 95% of the people who vote will have tried to educate themselves on the issue anyway.

Personally, I'm very torn on how to vote. Without going into it in any detail the choice for me is quite simply do I vote selfishly or altruistically?
MarleyZ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by iEthan)
I don't think there should be an age cap as such. But the whole idea of this 'talk to gran' thing is incredibly insulting imo. Just because someone's over a certain age, doesn't automatically make them politically inept or unable to think for themselves — I for one, would want to make my own mind up.
That's a good point, I think i would want to make my own mind up to. I would definitely consider the younger generations in my decision process though
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a good point, I think i would want to make my own mind up to. I would definitely consider the younger generations in my decision process though
So would I, definitely. However, I'd be really quite annoyed if my grandchildren or children told me how to vote. It could do way more harm for the remain voters than they think…
username944192
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Age is not a good reason at all to prevent someone from voting. If that was the case those of us who are voting leave could say we should raise the limit to 21 or something because of all the idealistic leftie university students who will vote remain.
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Age cap?
Is that to suit certain agendas?
smh
BubbleBoobies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
does that mean that people of a certain old age shouldn't be allowed to vote at all? wow, I don't like that precedent/reasoning.
BaronK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Financier, opinion?
The Financier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BaronK)
The Financier, opinion?
It's really difficult to cut through the fluff.
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No there shouldn't be a cap. They are adult citizens so they deserve the right to vote. Sounds insulting that campaign.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stupid idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

My grandmother, mother, step father, uncle and mothers friend are all voting out (grandmother because she hates German dominance, rest because they dislike immigration), i'm not sure i could really try convince them given that my own informed opinion is one of indifference in the sense that i don't believe Europe dictates our success or failure anywhere near as much as people would have us believe.

I will say that i have moved from solidly pro to leaning Out but somewhat Undecided. I must admit that one of the biggest factors pushing me Out now is the refugee crisis and lack of external border controls. I'm happy for the Polish and Germans to come here but i find it disgusting that a million third world refugees have the right to come here. They are neither one of us nor economically desirable. A smaller factor is the issue of what happens next in that while i support a federal Euro-zone, i don't believe that the UK will ever submit to become the state of another country.
adam9317
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Elderly people have the experience of life before the EEC in 1975; their added life experiences can aid them in their decision to leave the EU!
AfcFob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wouldn't be very democratic if a large proportion of the population wouldn't be allowed to vote purely based on their age
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why on earth shouldn't older people be able to vote? Encouraging people to persuade their elderly relatives to vote a certain way is really patronising in my opinion, if they want to vote they are perfectly capable of deciding for themselves. Them being here for less time to see the benefits/problems is irrelevant, a 20 year old voter could die next week, should we say anyone with a life threatening illness shouldn't vote?
BenC1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seems like an attempt to stop people voting the "wrong" way frankly.

It's more demeaning than stupid, it seems to suggest older people aren't politically aware enough to have their own say; as if they need the help of the 'enlightened' young generation to conjure up their own opinions. Which is fairly ironic,given that many of the young voters will be voting having done no research of their own whatsoever.

At the end of the day, it's not something you'd imagine would have much of an effect. As an undecided out-leaning voter I know that I'd be able to have little to no influence over how any of my family, regardless of how much they know about the EU, will vote.
newblood
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AfcFob)
Wouldn't be very democratic if a large proportion of the population wouldn't be allowed to vote purely based on their age
0 to 18 ear olds cant vote purely because of their age.
Wheres your democracy now
Kiytt
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by newblood)
Yes, because 3-year-olds have a superb grasp on the political and economic climate.
AfcFob
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by newblood)

And I don't agree with the fact that 16 and 17 year olds can't vote (it's to do with not understanding consequence until your 18) but I do see where that comes from, however
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads