Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I know everyone is different when it comes to driving and everyone learns at their own pace.

I have had 11 lessons so far, covering 17 hours and I have done three maneuvers. Turn in the road(3-point turn), Parallel park and reversing round a corner. I have not perfected them but I can manage them with very little assistance if not none at all.

I would just like to know if I am making good progress, based on anyone's past experiences.

Thanks!

- I am having one lesson a week | 1&half hour - 2hour lessons each time - Test is 3rd June
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RichardR21)
    Hello,

I know everyone is different when it comes to driving and everyone learns at their own pace.

I have had 11 lessons so far, covering 17 hours and I have done three maneuvers. Turn in the road(3-point turn), Parallel park and reversing round a corner. I have not perfected them but I can manage them with very little assistance if not none at all.

I would just like to know if I am making good progress, based on anyone's past experiences.

Thanks!

- I am having one lesson a week | 1&half hour - 2hour lessons each time - Test is 3rd June
    I would think that that's relatively good progress - obviously you're only going to get one of those maneuvers in your test, so making sure the rest of the driving is good also needs to be a priority. If you're having just one lesson a week, that means you've got about 6 more lessons until your test... I would try and get in some extra practice outside of lesson times if possible, because the more practice you do, the more you'll get used to the unexpected, which is what will likely screw your test if anything does at all!

It's generally thought that you should do at least 30-40 hours driving in before taking the test to be in with a good chance to pass!

Overall though, yeh, I reckon it's good progress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I would think that that's relatively good progress - obviously you're only going to get one of those maneuvers in your test, so making sure the rest of the driving is good also needs to be a priority. If you're having just one lesson a week, that means you've got about 6 more lessons until your test... I would try and get in some extra practice outside of lesson times if possible, because the more practice you do, the more you'll get used to the unexpected, which is what will likely screw your test if anything does at all!

It's generally thought that you should do at least 30-40 hours driving in before taking the test to be in with a good chance to pass!

Overall though, yeh, I reckon it's good progress!
    Thank you for replying
    Yes he said that I would get one manouver and MAYBE an emergency stop. I am fairly a confident driver now too which helps but yes I know I still have to work and focus on everything!
    I finish Uni in 4 weeks so I will be able to possibly squeeze another 4 more in (fingers crossed).
    But thank you, that has reassured me that I am making good progress !
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thank you for replying
    Yes he said that I would get one manouver and MAYBE an emergency stop. I am fairly a confident driver now too which helps but yes I know I still have to work and focus on everything!
    I finish Uni in 4 weeks so I will be able to possibly squeeze another 4 more in (fingers crossed).
    But thank you, that has reassured me that I am making good progress !
    Yup - I got a manoeuvre and the emergency stop, but my test was actually relatively short!

Nice one - and yep, it definitely sounds like you've got things in order which is great!!! Have you got a good time for your test??

ReputationRep:
    Yup - I got a manoeuvre and the emergency stop, but my test was actually relatively short!

Nice one - and yep, it definitely sounds like you've got things in order which is great!!! Have you got a good time for your test??
    Lets hope mine is short too then and there are no a******s on the road haha!
    My test is on a Friday Afternoon at 13:30. Which was the best time available at the time. Plus I thought it would suit me better as I have been learning around 10:00AM and 13:00 AM
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Lets hope mine is short too then and there are no a******s on the road haha!
    My test is on a Friday Afternoon at 13:30. Which was the best time available at the time. Plus I thought it would suit me better as I have been learning around 10:00AM and 13:00 AM
    Hahaha yeh, it's the *******s who you need to watch out for

Nice!! Yeh, it's always good to practice around the time of the test I remember I had mine about 10.43am, which was such a ****ing amazing time because the roads were pretty empty!!! My examiner even at one point warned me about how the road ahead I had to give priority to oncoming drivers...!! - I was just like... WTF!!?????? I guess I had a pretty good examiner tbf

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha yeh, it's the *******s who you need to watch out for

Nice!! Yeh, it's always good to practice around the time of the test I remember I had mine about 10.43am, which was such a ****ing amazing time because the roads were pretty empty!!! My examiner even at one point warned me about how the road ahead I had to give priority to oncoming drivers...!! - I was just like... WTF!!?????? I guess I had a pretty good examiner tbf
    Hahah Jesus! Yeah you were lucky! Hmm yeah I would definitely prefer the roads to be quieter, although a lot of people I know said its better when it's busy... Apparently more traffic - less driving !

But yeah progress is going good so fingers crossed 👏🏽
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hahah Jesus! Yeah you were lucky! Hmm yeah I would definitely prefer the roads to be quieter, although a lot of people I know said its better when it's busy... Apparently more traffic - less driving !

But yeah progress is going good so fingers crossed 👏🏽
    Yeah, it's kinda 6 to one, half a dozen to another...

When it's busy, you're going slower (probably), more time to think/look around... when it's quieter, less idiots on the road to potentially do something unexpected...

Yeah, I'm sure you'll do fine!!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mobbsy91;64178129]Yeah, it's kinda 6 to one, half a dozen to another...

When it's busy, you're going slower (probably), more time to think/look around... when it's quieter, less idiots on the road to potentially do something unexpected...

Yeah, I'm sure you'll do fine!!! [/QUOTE

Thanks for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.