Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently two assignment deadlines away from completing my first year at uni but I've been having doubts about the course for the majority of the year and I'm struggling so much with these last two - one is due tonight, one due in 3 days, and I haven't even started that one. My attendance isn't great and neither are my grades so far, and not to be pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure I have failed my last two re submissions I sent through last week (they haven't been marked yet) which means I'll have failed the module, and in my uni (not sure if this is the case in every uni) that means I've failed the year.

I've spent the whole of two days contemplating on just dropping out now but after reading up on the financial situations of having to pay back the maintenance grant, which I can't afford to pay back just like that, is kind of scaring me. So I guess, what I'm trying to get at is, if I just fail to submit my last two assignments and not write to my uni to "drop out" will I just fail the year instead, and not have to pay my grant back of what I owe, straight away?

Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 1010xx)
    I'm currently two assignment deadlines away from completing my first year at uni but I've been having doubts about the course for the majority of the year and I'm struggling so much with these last two - one is due tonight, one due in 3 days, and I haven't even started that one. My attendance isn't great and neither are my grades so far, and not to be pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure I have failed my last two re submissions I sent through last week (they haven't been marked yet) which means I'll have failed the module, and in my uni (not sure if this is the case in every uni) that means I've failed the year.

I've spent the whole of two days contemplating on just dropping out now but after reading up on the financial situations of having to pay back the maintenance grant, which I can't afford to pay back just like that, is kind of scaring me. So I guess, what I'm trying to get at is, if I just fail to submit my last two assignments and not write to my uni to "drop out" will I just fail the year instead, and not have to pay my grant back of what I owe, straight away?

Thanks.
    If you fail and didnt resit in the summer then you might owe a little student finance but no you wont have to pay anything back straight away. Student finance do usually accept repayment plans to pay any overpayments back so you dont really have to panic about giving it all back straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you fail and didnt resit in the summer then you might owe a little student finance but no you wont have to pay anything back straight away. Student finance do usually accept repayment plans to pay any overpayments back so you dont really have to panic about giving it all back straight away.
    Thank you for your reply
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 1010xx)
    Thank you for your reply
    No problem, glad to help

ReputationRep:
    You could possibly change your course if you feel the course is not for you. In first year I did a join degree which I struggled with so, I changed the second subject that I was joint with to suit what I wanted to learn about. This worked out for me and boosted my confidence incredibly- it sounds hard but I'm sure you'll be able to do this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.