ReputationRep:
    Can someone kindle help me with this question, thanks
    and the answer is B
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmans)
    and the answer is B
    First find the resultant force in the vertical direction (upthrust - weight) then you can use pythagoras to find the overall resultant force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex621)
    First find the resultant force in the vertical direction (upthrust - weight) then you can use pythagoras to find the overall resultant force.
    ok but when they say find the resultant force what do they exactly want us to find.

ReputationRep:
    ok but when they say find the resultant force what do they exactly want us to find.
    The resultant force is all of the forces added together, so it's like the overall force acting on an object. Because in this example the forces are all acting in different directions, it's not as simple as literally 'adding' them together, so you have to do it in steps.

ReputationRep:
    you just answered your own question o.o

ReputationRep:
    and the answer is B
    Vertical resultant force = 10,200 - 9,800 = 400 N
    So let Overall resultant force (R)
    R2 = 3002 + 4002
    R2 =250,000
    R = 500 N

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.