Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Welcome Squad
    After spending months (years?) learning to drive, it all comes down to one day: your driving test. Hmmm, pressure much?

Yup, if you've got your test coming up, you might be feeling the nerves a bit. But don't worry. Even if you don't pass this time, it can't go as badly as it did for these members of the TSR community...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-driving-tests
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I remember when I had my test, I had much much pressure... I had the same driving instructor as my sister, and she passed with no faults at all, and she was always doomed to fail... xD Just before I left in the morning my parents said: "You know, if you fail, she's never going to let you forget about it...". My instructor even said the same thing and said, "you've just got to pass or she's just going to rip the ****ing **** out of you."

I drove over to the test centre and we were quite early, so he was just like... well, the car's a bit dirty, so let's take it for a wash... About 30 minutes before my test and we were just rolling up to a car wash and I was sitting there pretty nervous... I think the car wash definitely helped though... (and my examiner did comment on how clean the car was, which I think definitely helped !)

Seriously though, enjoy the test - not too much though (my examiner looked a bit perturbed when I started feeling his knee instead of the gear stick)!!

ReputationRep:
    I failed on my first attempt, I tried to go onto a roundabout in third gear... by the time the instructor pointed it out, I had failed

ReputationRep:
    I thought I had failed, but then was really surprised when I passed with 1 minor. I guess it shows you carry on driving your best, even after you think you've screwed up.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I failed on my first attempt, I tried to go onto a roundabout in third gear... by the time the instructor pointed it out, I had failed
    Ya see, the stupid thing is, I go round roundabouts in 3rd gear all the time (sometimes even 4th) since I passed, and it's absolutely fine... Driving tests annoys me from the PoV that you wouldn't usually drive like you do in a test...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Ya see, the stupid thing is, I go round roundabouts in 3rd gear all the time (sometimes even 4th) since I passed, and it's absolutely fine... Driving tests annoys me from the PoV that you wouldn't usually drive like you do in a test...
    I meant to say I was stationary to let people through and then I tried taking off in third gear lol

I drive a lot more confidently now

ReputationRep:
    When I took my test, I was convinced I'd failed because I disobeyed an instruction from the examiner:

I was driving along a main road (40mph, no pavements) and the examiner told me to "find somewhere safe, legal and convenient to pull up on the left.

Personally, I didn't think it would be very safe or convenient to pull up anywhere along that road and I somehow got it into my head that it was a trick question designed to catch me out.

Anyway, I just kept driving and found a side road and turned in there to pull up (technically it was safe, legal, convenient and on the left...)

The instructor was not impressed - I nearly burst into tears as he started having a go at me "What do you think you're doing? Why are were here? I wouldn't have given you an instruction if it wasn't safe for you to follow it. etc"

I was so upset I nearly couldn't carry on with the test, but I just about managed to pull myself together and finished the test.

Amazingly, I still passed (10 minors, but that was just because of nerves) and now I'm happily zipping around the country with my lovely car!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plumstone)
    When I took my test, I was convinced I'd failed because I disobeyed an instruction from the examiner:

I was driving along a main road (40mph, no pavements) and the examiner told me to "find somewhere safe, legal and convenient to pull up on the left.

Personally, I didn't think it would be very safe or convenient to pull up anywhere along that road and I somehow got it into my head that it was a trick question designed to catch me out.

Anyway, I just kept driving and found a side road and turned in there to pull up (technically it was safe, legal, convenient and on the left...)

The instructor was not impressed - I nearly burst into tears as he started having a go at me "What do you think you're doing? Why are were here? I wouldn't have given you an instruction if it wasn't safe for you to follow it. etc"

I was so upset I nearly couldn't carry on with the test, but I just about managed to pull myself together and finished the test.

Amazingly, I still passed (10 minors, but that was just because of nerves) and now I'm happily zipping around the country with my lovely car!
    Don't blame you for that one, I would have done the same thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Don't blame you for that one, I would have done the same thing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, although in hindsight I feel I should have known better than to think that he was trying to trip me up...

I kinda feel like I want to go back to the test centre and take the examiner for a drive in my car just to prove that I'm a lot better than I was during my nerve-riddled test!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I meant to say I was stationary to let people through and then I tried taking off in third gear lol

I drive a lot more confidently now
    Ahaha slightly different xD

I think most people are a lot more relaxed post pass generally and so the driving is safer...

ReputationRep:
    My instructor told me before the test that I'd fail, passed it first go with 4 minors, rumour was alot of good drivers were getting failed so they could charge for the retest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Ahaha slightly different xD

I think most people are a lot more relaxed post pass generally and so the driving is safer...
    God I was so embarrassed. The instructor was a nice fella too. He was hinting it, but being under a lot of pressure I didn't catch his drift.

According to many people I'm a very good driver, so at the end of the day it doesn't matter one bit

Did you pass first time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    My instructor told me before the test that I'd fail, passed it first go with 4 minors, rumour was alot of good drivers were getting failed so they could charge for the retest!
    Urgh the cheek!!

You showed them haha!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    God I was so embarrassed. The instructor was a nice fella too. He was hinting it, but being under a lot of pressure I didn't catch his drift.

According to many people I'm a very good driver, so at the end of the day it doesn't matter one bit

Did you pass first time?
    Yeh, and to be honest, once you've passed, that's it... it's very unlikely you'll have to retake the test and drive like you're doing a test for a very long time...

Yeh I did

I know of an American driver who failed his test because he went over a speed bump and the gun in his holster discharged, blowing his bollox off. He survived but it probably wasnt recommended.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.