Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Long story short; I was ill during my teens and early 20s and am just now (at the grand old age of 27 *gulp*) starting to get back into studying. I managed to obtain a whole 4 GCSEs back in 2006 (English A, Maths C, Double Science CC) despite being pretty ill and retook a maths GCSE in 2009, prior to another relapse of my illness (I got a B that time-frustrating as I felt I could do better).
    I'm currently looking at A levels and alternative courses (BTEC Animal Management seems to be the alternative) with the *hope* of applying *somewhere* for a 2018/19 start. What I don't know is whether my lack of/poor GCSEs would count against me after all this time and whether I should really be factoring in an extra year to retake the maths and sciences (I'd do the sciences as individual exams not double award). I'm in the process of contacting universities but I'd like some input/suggestions from you guys as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceJRP)
    Ok. Long story short; I was ill during my teens and early 20s and am just now (at the grand old age of 27 *gulp*) starting to get back into studying. I managed to obtain a whole 4 GCSEs back in 2006 (English A, Maths C, Double Science CC) despite being pretty ill and retook a maths GCSE in 2009, prior to another relapse of my illness (I got a B that time-frustrating as I felt I could do better).
    I'm currently looking at A levels and alternative courses (BTEC Animal Management seems to be the alternative) with the *hope* of applying *somewhere* for a 2018/19 start. What I don't know is whether my lack of/poor GCSEs would count against me after all this time and whether I should really be factoring in an extra year to retake the maths and sciences (I'd do the sciences as individual exams not double award). I'm in the process of contacting universities but I'd like some input/suggestions from you guys as well.
    First of all, it sounds like you have solid extenuating circumstances for your GCSE results, so unis will take this in account - although they may like to see retakes.
    You will be classed as a mature student, and so most unis have different entry policies to allow for the fact that people can become more motivated as they get older, so their previous results may not be a reflection of their capabilities. BTEC is an option, as are certain access courses. It's best to check what individual unis will accept, and try to do a course that is accepted by the most unis to maximise the number you can apply to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an extra-mature student I started vet school at 40, after doing 3 A levels over 3 years before that. I don't have GCSEs - I'm Irish and had fairly average-ish inter cert and leaving cert results from eons ago, and they didn't affect my application. I had 4 interviews and 3 offers when I first applied (despite having re-sat chemistry to get an A) - then failed to make the A grade in maths to be allowed start so had to re-sit that and re-apply, with 2 interviews and 2 offers next time. I still never got that damned A in maths, but was let in with a B in the end anyway!

They say for veterinary you don't have any special consideration just by being a mature student and need to attain the same qualifications as school-leavers. They will take your entire breadth of experience and motivation into account though. Beware, Liverpool don't read personal statements so you'd need to find another way to explain extenuating circumstances - the academic reference most likely.

The list of accepted qualifications has got a lot bigger now, but it differs for each vet school which is a pain - I ended up doing A levels because it was the only common denominator when I was considering appying for Glasgow (they were the most picky at the time) - and they said they would insist on a physics GCSE too (ridiculous!).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.