Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So basically i have this toxic friend that i've known for 2 years. She's in nearly all my classes and she is extremely narcissistic. This can be justified because she can back it up eg grades ect. What my real problem is that when she continously degrades me ( and others) and states i'm inferior to her ect. Today when we were talking in class, i was just joking around with her and she said "i don't know if you're joking or if you're just honestly stupid' she said it in a really patronosing degrading tone and i obviously get offended. When she said it the whole class was quiet it was honestly so humilating. The teacher even went to defend me, i felt like i was being bullied and i wasn't. This wasn't the first time she's done this in public. The things she says are actually hurtful but she doesnt know that, if i Admit it to her she'll call be sensitive which is why i'm reluctant too. I really value her friendship which is why i don't want our friendship to end.

I finally told her today and she said she'll try tobstop doing it but i don't know tbh

Did any of you guys have this toxic friend? What did u do?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Did she actually say that she will 'try' to stop? Trying doesn't seem good enough, if she respects you she would have said she will stop treating you like that, full stop. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    don't talk to her, slowly distance yourself. if shes a good friend she'll try to fix up, if she's not she either wont notice or wont try to do anything about it. why have a friend whos not committed? who doesnt even try to be your friend?

also i agree with SinsNotTragedies

(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Did she actually say that she will 'try' to stop? Trying doesn't seem good enough, if she respects you she would have said she will stop treating you like that, full stop. :confused:
    She said it's just who she is as a person so it will be hard for her to stop but she'll try nonetheless.

(Original post by Artijoke)
    don't talk to her, slowly distance yourself. if shes a good friend she'll try to fix up, if she's not she either wont notice or wont try to do anything about it. why have a friend whos not committed? who doesnt even try to be your friend?

also i agree with SinsNotTragedies
    That is impossible, we sit in same table for nearly all our classes and she always talks to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this common loose use of the word "friend."

ReputationRep:
    To be fair some people are just naturally like that. They don't mean to be offensive or hurtful, it's just part of her personality.
    It's good she's trying to change, but honestly just don't let it get to you. I know it's easy to say, but it's not exactly like she's intentionally being *****y. Either quit being friends with her, or don't what she says seriously.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She said it's just who she is as a person so it will be hard for her to stop but she'll try nonetheless.
    It doesn't sound fair to you at all. Being humiliated in front of your peers by someone who is purportedly your friend is damaging. :erm:
    Just please try not to take what she says to heart. I do know it is hard to end a friendship and I appreciate your reluctance to do so, especially as you are in nearly all of your classes together. Do you only have a couple of months left in those classes though?

Also, how do you respond most of the time when she insults you?

ReputationRep:
    don't eat her then

(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    It doesn't sound fair to you at all. Being humiliated in front of your peers by someone who is purportedly your friend is damaging. :erm:
    Just please try not to take what she says to heart. I do know it is hard to end a friendship and I appreciate your reluctance to do so, especially as you are in nearly all of your classes together. Do you only have a couple of months left in those classes though?

Also, how do you respond most of the time when she insults you?
    Yeah i have one more month then we go on study leave. If its in a public like today i'm silent i don't know what to say because of the humilation in front of everyone.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah i have one more month then we go on study leave. If its in a public like today i'm silent i don't know what to say because of the humilation in front of everyone.
    That's good, it means you won't have to put up with it any longer. I hope you're okay and just remember that you are great; a person who puts you down - 'friend' or not - does not deserve your attention and friendship. :hugs:
    If you ever want to talk I'm here.

ReputationRep:
    That is impossible, we sit in same table for nearly all our classes and she always talks to me.
    It really isn't impossible. You can blatantly blank her, blatantly ignore her. It doesn't matter that she sits next to you and always talks to you. If you don't reply she should be able to get the message.

It's only impossible if you aren't up for it, but to be honest it's much easier to ignore somebody and look straight past them than to deal with their bullsh*t. If she doesn't stop, raise your hand up and complain about her to the teacher.

It's actually ridiculously easy, and if she still doesn't get the message (which is surprising) then say it straight to her face. What else do you think you can do? :shifty:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.