The Student Room Group

PGCE Primary acceptance rate?

Anyone know what the acceptance rate for primary training programs are, I will try other routes available not just PGCE if possible.

What would make me a stronger applicant? I am thinking of working as a TA before I apply for about a year

--- I already have a 2:1 degree so academically I'm hoping that's enough
Reply 1
Acceptance rates naturally vary depending on how many places the course provider has to offer and how many people apply have applied. Course providers don't really publicise this information. The government used to allocate a number of places to course providers depending their size, the quality of the training and the need for new teachers in their local area. This year things have been a bit different because the government has introduced new controls and universities are only guaranteed 75% of however many people they recruited last year.

To put this into perspective, my university received 468 applications, interviewed 229 candidates and then recruited 71 trainees. For the School Direct route, it was 120 applications, 38 interviews and 24 trainees. This means that they may only able to take 53 trainees this year with an increase in School Direct places likely making up for this reduction.

This may all completely change again by the time you apply, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Apply to the providers you would be happy training with and do your best at the interview. There's not much else you can do!

As for what would strengthen your application: get as much school experience as possible. Working as a TA would be a very good way to do this. You will be able to learn from the teachers you work with, which should help you when you are training too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending