Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in year 12 at a under performing state school (I will be transferring to a grammar school in summer this year for year 13).
    I'm looking to study Maths at university and I am interested in Oxford and Bristol, however I come from a low income family and wont get much support financially. Is it advisable to get a part-time job or would it be better to get larger loans and focus on my study?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly certain it's at least 'not the done thing' to work while at Oxford, if not forbidden entirely. However, the terms are relatively short and if you're able to find work at home between them then I think that's probably a good way to earn some extra cash.

I'd also advise you take as much of the loan as you can - the scale has been devised to give you the best boost possible that you might need, and there's no particular pressure to pay it back quickly after you leave university.

To make up for the fact that you cannot work during term time, there's also the Oxford bursary and fee reductions (income dependent, of course) that are additional to whatever it is you'll get from Student Finance: http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-fu...oxford-support

ReputationRep:
    You cannot work part-time during term time but Oxford does have the best money for low income students.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Student loans are really quite generous for low-income families. Combined with the relatively low (for the South) costs in Oxford and Oxford's own financial support, you will probably find yourself very well off compared to many of your peers. In the lowest income bracket you will have £11,800pa to live on. I lived on a bit over half of that throughout my degree without especially budgeting, no exaggeration.

But if you need to the long holidays are perfect for short term jobs. I worked for Royal Mail in the run up to Christmas a couple of years, earning £1200 for 2 weeks work each time. I also was a participant in some economics experiments which paid a bit, and did a vaccine trial which paid almost £2000 for something which had such huge moral value I probably would have done it for free if they'd asked. You can sometimes get work in the college bar or library as well. But in all honesty, if your family income is in that low bracket you'll be rolling in it - no need for any of this at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addermin)
    I am interested in Oxford and Bristol, however I come from a low income family and wont get much support financially.
    If your family is from the lowest income bracket, then you'll get the maximum Maintenance Loan (currently around £8500 a year). Both Oxford and Bristol (and most other unis) will offer a non-repayable bursary to low-income students on top of that - it's £2000 a year for Bristol at present and Oxford have a sliding scale with a maximum of £4500 a year from those with a household income below £16,000. If you add Maintenance Loan and bursary, you should have plenty to live on without working during term time.

However I would always encourage you to do some kind of paid work during your time at uni, even if it's just during the summer holidays (which will be considerable at Oxford). Even a supermarket job will generate a good basic employment reference for your first graduate applications.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated this summer from Oxford and earned a small income in my free time but doing some online tutoring. If I had periods of term where the work load calmed down a little, I could put in more hours with online students, paid for my nights out and gave me a bit of extra money! I found Spires the most beneficial platform for me, really easy and flexible. Maybe take a look at doing some tutoring work as it also gets around the "no job in term time" issue.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Addermin)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in year 12 at a under performing state school (I will be transferring to a grammar school in summer this year for year 13).
    I'm looking to study Maths at university and I am interested in Oxford and Bristol, however I come from a low income family and wont get much support financially. Is it advisable to get a part-time job or would it be better to get larger loans and focus on my study?
    We can't give independent financial advice (for obvious reasons) but the majority of eligible students do take the full loan from Student Loan Company because the (future) income-contingent repayment terms are attractive and very likely to remain so.

There is no restriction on part-time work during term time at Brasenose (and we think other colleges) but it is unusual simply because surveys carried out by Which and others indicate that the time spent studing for the degree programmes (lectures/classes, tutorials, lab practicals plus private study) lies around the 40-hour work. Some students supplement income with vacation or in a small number of cases term-time jobs - teaching a few hours for the private education providers in Oxford is favoured for its flexibility. Internships and placements during holidays are also common and sometimes financial support is available from college to assist with taking these up.

We can't speak for other colleges, but around 1 in 3 undergraduates does some work for Brasenose each year, mainly during vacations. Examples include conference work, help with admissions interviews, telethon fundraising, IT assistants, library assistants, and bar work. The mean number of hours worked by students who did at least 1 hour was 42 across the year and mean earnings £358. These jobs are quite popular because out of term time, in addition to casual pay, the college also provides free accommodation and meals.

Separate from the Oxford Bursary and Moritz Heyman awards, Brasenose has a number of top-up bursaries worth around £500 which are awarded to students from less affluent household backgrounds. There is also college and University hardship support to help with unavoidable financial difficulties.

Brasenose Admissions

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.