The Student Room Group

No friends throughout secondary school + sixth form...potentially at uni as well?

So basically I have been at one of those really dodgy, non-academic schools whilst getting pretty good grades. I suppose I haven't been inherently "unlikeable" but I have really struggled to find people with similar interests. Assuming I meet my offer, I will be off to a top university this year, and will definitely make an effort to be involved in sports teams etc. Will things change for me?
Probably, university is a lot bigger and people are hoepfully more mature.
Original post by Anonymous
So basically I have been at one of those really dodgy, non-academic schools whilst getting pretty good grades. I suppose I haven't been inherently "unlikeable" but I have really struggled to find people with similar interests. Assuming I meet my offer, I will be off to a top university this year, and will definitely make an effort to be involved in sports teams etc. Will things change for me?

Which university?
Well there's a repeating pattern here. Whether the schools are slightly "dodgy" and non-academic, the average person should still be able to find friends.

Will things change for you? Only if you're willing to make it so.

University is much different to what we're experiencing now at Sixth Form. It's much easier to make friends, but only in the beginning, because once people become accustomed and comfortable in their friendship groups it will be difficult to make new friends.

So for university:

1) Join as many societies as possible (and thus find people who match your interests).
2) On your first day at University, introduce yourself to as many people as possible. It's not a bad idea to say "Hi, I'm X/Y/Z!".
3) Probably try joining the Facebook group for your university.
Reply 4
You have to really think about why it is your not clicking with people, it's probably more than just not having the same interests or being in a dodgy school. E.g are you too closed off to people, is there something about your personality etc . Whatever it is you have to work on that first otherwise the same pattern might repeat itself in uni.
Sometimes making friends is hard and if you haven't been able to do it so far then it might be worth learning how before you go to uni. This might sound strange but it's actually important!

I've recently started at a sixth form where I don't know anyone after being around the same people my whole life and I've found making new friends kinda hard. At first I didn't realise that it's important to put in effort to make new friends because it had been years since I'd been around new people so I've been trying to brush up on my social skills a bit :colondollar:

Some books I'd recommend about this topic are The Charisma Myth, Give and Take and of course a cheeky bit of Dale Carnegie :tongue:

The best way to make new friends, in my opinion, is to be yourself and be kind to people. I'm sure you'll manage to make plenty of new friends at uni, I hope you have a good time!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending