Bringing a desktop to university?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Is it at all worth it?

I've had my PC rig for about 5 years now, and over that time I've upgraded it to keep up with whatever games were coming out. However now that I'm moving country to go to university, I'm wondering if its worth scrapping it instead - or selling it all together, and simply buying a lap top.

The university I'm going to to don't allow you to remain in your dorm over summer, and so I figure it might be inconvenient to lug my desktop to a temporary place until I'm back at school.

Anyone had to make a similar call?

Lots of people break up their desktops to fund a laptop, bit I would price your pc up to see if you tbhink its worth it. You might find some secure storage. Not sure its worth ligging it to a different country though. Id rather use desktops than laptops.

ReputationRep:
    No point really.

Laptops are pretty cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    No point really.

They are. But they don't offer the same amount of power for a cheaper price, like custom desktops.

ReputationRep:
    No point really.

Agreed

No point really.

They are but they are not very good if you want power, which some people do.

They are cheaper and more reliable.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who doesn't own a laptop - he has a desktop in his room. So essentially he's not the type who does work in the library, which is why he won't ever need a laptop. But I'd really suggest you to get a laptop...

ReputationRep:
    Laptop is a complete and utter waste of time if you already have a desktop. If you need to work on a computer whilst at uni, you can just use one of what will be thousands of uni open access machines.

As for the over summer dilemma, its not a huge problem. In the grand scheme of things, they aren't heavy or particularly large, so getting cheap storage for them is generally a piece of cake.

ReputationRep:
    Bring whatever works for you. I'm personally bringing an iPad which everyone has warned me against. But, I just can't type on computer keyboards and I already write all my essays on my iPad so I've decided to continue with it.

(Original post by Platopus)
    Bring whatever works for you. I'm personally bringing an iPad which everyone has warned me against. But, I just can't type on computer keyboards and I already write all my essays on my iPad so I've decided to continue with it.
    Not strictly true is it. I told you to wait and see what works for you as I recall and so did a lot of other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aventail)
    Is it at all worth it?

I've had my PC rig for about 5 years now, and over that time I've upgraded it to keep up with whatever games were coming out. However now that I'm moving country to go to university, I'm wondering if its worth scrapping it instead - or selling it all together, and simply buying a lap top.

The university I'm going to to don't allow you to remain in your dorm over summer, and so I figure it might be inconvenient to lug my desktop to a temporary place until I'm back at school.

Anyone had to make a similar call?
    Both? Strip the parts of the desktop and buy a new case in the UK. GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD/HDD, PSU, pretty small and can be kept. Just ditch what you find too bulky and repurchase in the UK.
    Get a cube form factor case, or something more generally built to be portable (designed for hackathons and whatnot) like a Corsair Air 540/240 and it will make carrying a desktop more convinient.

University is a three year business. Get a laptop. There will be times where you just won't want to sit in your room and rather be in a library or something. After a while a different scene can help but more or less just makes work less tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not strictly true is it. I told you to wait and see what works for you as I recall and so did a lot of other people.
    I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to belittle of undermine all the wonderful advice you gave - it really was very very helpful thank you! I have subsequently decided to take my iPad but of course if it doesn't work out I will have to find the money for a laptop somehow.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.