Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and I just got a part time weekend retail assistant job at primark, the hours are 2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1:00-5:00 on Sunday.

I have my induction next week and have a few questions. I know I can just phone up and ask or ask at the induction but, I don't want to be awkward or sound stupid.

- the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?
    - does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc?
    - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over?
    - I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written?
    - do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?
    - I don't know anyone working at the primark store where I'll be working, is it easy to fit in and make friends?

Any help will be much appreciated thank you

ReputationRep:
    hi im currently working at primark and have been for nearly 18 months. jeans should be ok, they are at my store. changing shifts is difficult but possible you need to swap with someone, to take a holiday they usually want at least a months notice but they are ok with less. i think i just went to customer service on my induction and then they said go upstairs. you sign papers and learn about ethics etc in the morning then they take you to your section in the afternoon and meet the people on your department and learn the ropes. i had references but never got asked for them so don't expect to but just give numbers if they do ask. hair away from face is fine. i knew no one when i started but everyone is super friendly from the store assistants to managers.
    hope that helps
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by clucyg)
    I'm 17 and I just got a part time weekend retail assistant job at primark, the hours are 2:30-6:30 on Saturday and 1:00-5:00 on Sunday.

I have my induction next week and have a few questions. I know I can just phone up and ask or ask at the induction but, I don't want to be awkward or sound stupid.

- the uniform is all black and the sheet I was given in the interview said black trousers, would it be ok if I wore black jeans? I don't own any formal suit trousers and the jeans I'd wear are skinny jeans and would be clean so could look smart?
    - does anyone know how easy it will be for me to change shifts or have days off for holiday and uni open days etc?
    - where do I go on my first day once I have arrived and know where I'm working for that shift? and do I just leave when my shift is over?
    - I've also been told I need to give two references is that just the names of people who could give references or two references already written?
    - do you have to tie your hair up or just back from your face?
    - I don't know anyone working at the primark store where I'll be working, is it easy to fit in and make friends?

Any help will be much appreciated thank you
    Hi,

I'll try and give you some information based on what happened when I started working at Primark.

- When I started, the uniform was plain back (i.e. shirt, formal trousers, black shoes). However, my store recently moved to the new uniform (I believe it's the same in all stores) which is the blue Primark t-shirt and black/dark blue jeans and trainers. For this reason I think you may be fine to wear the jeans for now but you should double check with the store.

- At my store the weekend staff do not have fixed shifts (it is different all the time). In terms of holidays, they usually prefer at least three weeks' notice.

- When I arrived for my induction, I went to Customer Services and they showed me to the correct room being used. In terms of your first actual shift, you will know where to go after you have completed your induction.

- References do not have to be written in advance. At your induction you will be asked to provide the names of two people who will be willing to write a reference if requested. For me, this was at the end of my three month Probationary period.

- At my store hair must be tied back from the face but not necessarily tied up.

- It is fairly easy to fit in since the vast majority of weekend staff at the store will be in the same position as you (many will be same/similar age however there will be a fair number who are a few years older). In terms of making friends, I guess it is relatively easy to do this. It just depends on the people you work alongside (i.e. there are some people I always speak to and some I never speak to). This isn't necessarily because I dislike these people but rather because I just haven't gotten to know them. It may be easier to get to know more people if you are working on a department on the shop floor rather than on tills (which is where I work).

Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.