Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer to study biomedical science at UCL, but it is too expensive :') I am an Egyptian student and the fees are more than my fathers' salary per year :') I was wondering if anyone has applied to Deny's Holland scholarship and got it and what are its requirements? I understand that it depends on financial hardship, but what is the measure for that? Does an income of 18000 pounds a year for a family of 4, make you in financial hardship ? I also have an offer from the University of Sheffield and if i can get the merit scholarship i will be able to afford it , so I was wondering if i should go to Sheffield, what do you guys think ? Is UCL worth all the money and extra strain on me and my dad to be able to pay for it ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi,

First of all, UCL is a very good university, but it is worth nothing if you cannot afford to pay for it and get your family bankrupt in the process.

I think the measure for financial hardship is demonstrating that you and your family will not be able to afford to study at UCL without their support. So, I think that you will have to provide bank statements and financial proof that shows your family's total income to demonstrate that you don't actually have the money.

You appear to be in the same position with the University of Sheffield. You will not be able to afford it, unless you can get some scholarship(s).

I think that you should look at the British Council website for possible funding opportunities. The UCL programme may be more strenuous on you and your family because of the exorbitant cost of living in London i.e. rent, food and welfare.

I strongly suggest that you apply for the Denys Holland Scholarship at UCL and any other scholarships, whether they are big or small. Just apply for all of them that are available to you. This is also for the University of Sheffield. Hopefully, when you get the funding, then you can decide on which one to attend.

Here are links to the Denys Holland Scholarship

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...denyshollandug

http://www.scholars4dev.com/15836/th...ollege-london/

Also go to this website to see whether there are other scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students

http://www.scholars4dev.com/

I wish you the very best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Hi,

First of all, UCL is a very good university, but it is worth nothing if you cannot afford to pay for it and get your family bankrupt in the process.

I think the measure for financial hardship is demonstrating that you and your family will not be able to afford to study at UCL without their support. So, I think that you will have to provide bank statements and financial proof that shows your family's total income to demonstrate that you don't actually have the money.

You appear to be in the same position with the University of Sheffield. You will not be able to afford it, unless you can get some scholarship(s).

I think that you should look at the British Council website for possible funding opportunities. The UCL programme may be more strenuous on you and your family because of the exorbitant cost of living in London i.e. rent, food and welfare.

I strongly suggest that you apply for the Denys Holland Scholarship at UCL and any other scholarships, whether they are big or small. Just apply for all of them that are available to you. This is also for the University of Sheffield. Hopefully, when you get the funding, then you can decide on which one to attend.

Here are links to the Denys Holland Scholarship

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...denyshollandug

http://www.scholars4dev.com/15836/th...ollege-london/

Also go to this website to see whether there are other scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students

http://www.scholars4dev.com/

I wish you the very best.
    THANKS ALOT That was very helpful
    I really can't go to any university without financial help :", but I have worked very hard the last 3 years and got really good grades against all odds so I don't want to waste all of that and go study in Egypt :" therefore I am trying my best to find any way to finance my course, I am willing to take a part time job if the course load is fine. The problem with Deny's Holland scholarship is that the results appear in August or September and if i firm Sheffield, I won't be able to take it and vice versa for Sheffield, so I will be taking a huge risk. UCL is a very reputable university and I heard that it's neuroscience department is the best in Europe, and that's why I really like it xD I have straight A* in 8 IGCSE subjects and 2 Alevels , and expecting another A* in an Alevel subject and an A in another AS subject, I have done plenty of extracurricular activities and i am really in need of help, so what do u think my chances are of getting the scholarship? I am assuming that they are low since applicants to UCL have really high grades :|
    What do you think of Sheffield ? Will i lose a lot if I go there for undergrad then do masters and phd in a higher uni later, since postgrad scholarships are way more abundant? I am so lost :|

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sarah ward)
    THANKS ALOT That was very helpful
    I really can't go to any university without financial help :", but I have worked very hard the last 3 years and got really good grades against all odds so I don't want to waste all of that and go study in Egypt :" therefore I am trying my best to find any way to finance my course, I am willing to take a part time job if the course load is fine. The problem with Deny's Holland scholarship is that the results appear in August or September and if i firm Sheffield, I won't be able to take it and vice versa for Sheffield, so I will be taking a huge risk. UCL is a very reputable university and I heard that it's neuroscience department is the best in Europe, and that's why I really like it xD I have straight A* in 8 IGCSE subjects and 2 Alevels , and expecting another A* in an Alevel subject and an A in another AS subject, I have done plenty of extracurricular activities and i am really in need of help, so what do u think my chances are of getting the scholarship? I am assuming that they are low since applicants to UCL have really high grades :|
    What do you think of Sheffield ? Will i lose a lot if I go there for undergrad then do masters and phd in a higher uni later, since postgrad scholarships are way more abundant? I am so lost :|

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help
    Well done in getting good grades.

Sheffield is a good university as well. it does not have the international reputation like UCL, but you will gain a great education there.
    Yes, taking part-time jobs are good, but they don't pay much and many places pay the UK minimum wage of about 7.20 pounds per hour. As an international student, I heard that you will not be allowed to work for more than 20 hours per week, which is just about 150 pounds per week or 600 pounds per month.
    Your situation is really difficult because you need to choose an option and stick to it whatever matters.

UCL is clearly the better choice, since, as you wrote, it is the best in Europe for your potential course. A major requirement to apply for the Denys Holland Scholarship is that you must FIRM UCL to be eligible for the scholarship. That means that you still have to go there regardless of the scholarship decisions. I assume that other internal scholarships at UCL will have a similar requirement. For Sheffield, you will also need to firm them to eligible for scholarships.

To be critical and not to give you too much hope, I will say that your choices are average. Not too high and not too low. That is why you will need to be proactive on your search. You appear to have a well-rounded profile and you should stress how much you will contribute to the University through your extracurricular pursuits.

What about Egypt? Have you checked for international scholarship opportunities for Egyptian students? There are also large organisations that may provide scholarships from North Africa or the Middle East or even Muslim scholarships (if you are one).

The very worst case scenario that I have heard from people is that they took loans to supplement their fees. I don't suggest this option for you because of the disastrous consequences, if your family don't meet up with the repayment, but I know someone who took a loan to study in the UK.

Finally, I don't know whether you will lose out, but not going to the "best" University for your course will be difficult to bear. So here is my suggestion.

You and your family should sit down and calculate how much you can realistically contribute to your education. Then look at feasible alternatives. With that information, compare the costs of a UCL education vs a Sheffield education (i.e. tuition fees and living costs plus accommodation). That will place you in a better position to decide on which university will be better. You can also search for cheaper schools that have cheaper living costs and fees.

If your calculations point toward UCL, then please go ahead, if not, please tread carefully and select Sheffield.

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.