Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Our daughter is due to start university this autumn and has received confirmation of the amount of maintenance loan she has been awarded. We were alarmed to see that this will not even cover her basic accommodation charges for the year, let alone food or educational supplies.

Although she knows she has to obtain some kind of part time work to supplement her 'income' am I right to understand that the assumption is that we as parents are expected to cover any shortfall in expenses? We have supplied evidence of the household income but no consideration is made for any outgoings such as mortgage or loans. Obviously we want to support her in any way we can, but should we have to bankrupt ourselves in the process?

Should it not be possible for her to have a loan to cover her entire accommodation costs plus a reasonable amount to live on, rather than a donation towards this or am I not understanding the system correctly?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mum68)
    Our daughter is due to start university this autumn and has received confirmation of the amount of maintenance loan she has been awarded. We were alarmed to see that this will not even cover her basic accommodation charges for the year, let alone food or educational supplies.

Although she knows she has to obtain some kind of part time work to supplement her 'income' am I right to understand that the assumption is that we as parents are expected to cover any shortfall in expenses? We have supplied evidence of the household income but no consideration is made for any outgoings such as mortgage or loans. Obviously we want to support her in any way we can, but should we have to bankrupt ourselves in the process?

Should it not be possible for her to have a loan to cover her entire accommodation costs plus a reasonable amount to live on, rather than a donation towards this or am I not understanding the system correctly?
    I'm afraid the student finance doesn't allow for outgoings aside from pension contributions, business costs and a small allocation for other dependent children. The assumption is that a household with less than £25k income will get full support and that households with more than this can contribute £1 out of every additional £8.40ish until the household income hits the £60-70k mark.

She may be eligible for additional support from her university or charitable grants/loans and hardship funds. She may be able to find cheaper accommodation too.

The expectation is that she will work in the 3 months between exams and the start of university - a full time job at minimum wage should earn well above £1000 in 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'm afraid the student finance doesn't allow for outgoings aside from pension contributions, business costs and a small allocation for other dependent children. The assumption is that a household with less than £25k income will get full support and that households with more than this can contribute £1 out of every additional £8.40ish until the household income hits the £60-70k mark.

She may be eligible for additional support from her university or charitable grants/loans and hardship funds. She may be able to find cheaper accommodation too.

The expectation is that she will work in the 3 months between exams and the start of university - a full time job at minimum wage should earn well above £1000 in 3 months.
    Thank you for your helpful (if disappointing) reply. Looks like I need to get a weekend job too!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.