Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For once in my posts im NOT trolling.

Soldier arrested

This is effin disgusting. I dont feel the need to comment any further, story speaks for itself!

ReputationRep:
    I think they were very strict about taking trophies, even back then. It's been thirty-four years though, and he may well have been away during the amnesties. They ought to cut him some slack. The same goes for Sgt. Danny Nightingale.

ReputationRep:
    A joke the law shouldn't be one size fits all it should take into account specific personal circumstances and should use common sense.

There is a massive difference between trophy guns like this man had and some wannabe gangster from south London having a Glock in his glove box.

While I still think there should be some sort of reprimand for former SF people keeping trophy guns as a deterrent to make sure no one else does it as well but there is no way it's worthy of a custodial sentence. Just give him a fine and confiscate the weapon.

ReputationRep:
    He kept the 9mm pistol to remind him of the comrades who died with him.

Why did he keep the four other pistols and the nearly 200 rounds of ammunition?

ReputationRep:
    Whose king was he fighting for?

ReputationRep:
    Good.
    He had 5 pistols and over 170 bullets, but it's "in memory of fallen friends". of course- there are absolutely no lethal memorabilia available, also the pistols could not be by any chance deactivated.
    he had them illegally (and he was perfectly aware of it), now he uses "i'm a hero" card.

ReputationRep:
    Homeless ex soldiers is more of a problem. Go get mad about that.

He owns weapons and ammunition illegally, the law applies to everyone. Given how ****ed up some ex soldiers are (not their fault, of course), its necessary to enforce the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    For once in my posts im NOT trolling.

Soldier arrested

This is effin disgusting. I dont feel the need to comment any further, story speaks for itself!
    Is it?

It seems pretty straight-forward. British soldiers aren't allowed to take their guns home with them or get a free pass from UK law because they served in the military.
    I can believe his story he kept it simply as a 'memento' or whatever, but really he should have had that thing deactivated or whatever before he even got back to the UK.

I'm less inclined to believe the ammunition and other stuff was memorabilia.

No I don't think he was going to go on a rampage or commit an armed robbery (maybe?), but he knew the law as well as anyone, and the law is strict about firearms possession.

Trying to make it out as some big mean nasty police brutalizing a war veteran is really low and cheap. Plenty of veterans live within the confines of the law, and they get their dues at veteran days and events un-peturbed by the old bill.

I'll agree that under the circumstances jailing the guy seems a bit excessive (a hefty fine or other sentence would have sufficed), but that's the law.

ReputationRep:
    The law is right in this case. Pistols have been banned for 20 years and he would have known that. He could have kept them legally if they were deactivated. There can't be one law for veterans and another one for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting how someone who contributed so much to the country gets this sort of treatment. He needs to be freed immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Disgusting how someone who contributed so much to the country gets this sort of treatment. He needs to be freed immediately.
    if anything, your post is disgusting.
    law applies to everyone equally.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.