The Student Room Group

Are there any old fashion dudes out here...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xobeauty
:redface: That's so romantic.
I like old school.

Tbh guys these days don't even know HOW to change a tire.

Then that's their fault. But saying you should know something, but when you're asked to do it the guy is a douche, isn't cool at all
:redface: That's so romantic.
I like old school.

Tbh guys these days don't even know HOW to change a tire.

yeah tell me about it - most girls these days on the other hand don't even know how to cook/clean
Original post by RobML
Kinda seems desperate unless you're loaded and she's earning nothing

No, not really. In fairness I've been working from a young age so I've quite a bit saved up...although not enough to pay for uni.

How would it be desperate?
I'm not the desperate kind of guy so I don't understand. It just seems like something I should do. Unless it's the weekly shop for her or summat, I'll offer to buy it.
Original post by donutellme
Then that's their fault. But saying you should know something, but when you're asked to do it the guy is a douche, isn't cool at all

It's good to know how to change a tire just incase you're by yourself but if a guy is there and doesn't take initiative, it's douchey.
Reply 64
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
What is that reason? This isn't the middle ages and you don't need men to defend you from wild beasts or to provide shelter. If you want to say you're a precious flower that needs a white knight then that's your prerogative. But fundamentally in the modern age of technology height nor strength lends any advantage towards status or security.

Don't give humans more credit than we deserve, just because societies evolved thousands of years ago in a certain way and have remained largely static regarding gender roles since, it doesn't make it right. :smile: If you'd like to show me some hard evidence that women are better suited to be unemployed and take care of children I'd be happy to take a look at the studies.

I totally understand your point, you are not wrong, I'm not arguing about that :smile: and no way I'm trying to say that women need to stay at home and bit work, I cannot imagine myself not working, both my grandmothers used to work (both over 70 now), one us an accountant, the other one is chemical engineer, one of them got driving licence when she was 19 (in relatively strict country at that time), and my mum never stopped working. None of them were pressured to work, all volunteer, personal choice to help family.

You are actually very right when you said it depends in the way one is brought up, but at the same time I don't know any culture where gender roles strongly dismissed and disliked.

I think I will abonden my preference on gender roles when there will be true equal pay.

But for now, I agree with your points mostly, however i dont think myself as previous flower (tbh i wish i could), and i dont manipulate guys because of my gender.

let's call my preference would be I like my kitchen, and I want more or less "old style" guy :smile: my family values and thinking is a bit different, and its totally, 100% of the way I have been brought up :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by DMcGovern

I'm not the desperate kind of guy so I don't understand. It just seems like something I should do. Unless it's the weekly shop for her or summat, I'll offer to buy it.

Why though ? Is there any practical need or matter of fairness to do so?
Original post by lNurl
X

That's fine, if that's how you've been raised and prefer it it's understandable :smile:
Original post by RobML
Why though ? Is there any practical need or matter of fairness to do so?

I don't know, it seems like something I should be doing, it's basically one of the prerequisites for being a boyfriend. If you never buy anything for your mot and/or you make her pay for everything, she's going to think you're a stingy, miserable aul' sod. This will not end well for you.
Reply 68
Sorry for grammar/spelling mistakes, sleepy typing from phone
Reply 69
If you never buy anything for your mot and/or you make her pay for everything, she's going to think you're a stingy, miserable aul' sod. This will not end well for you.

Well, you're certainly overcompensating for that, and that's why I mention insecurity.
It's good to know how to change a tire just incase you're by yourself but if a guy is there and doesn't take initiative, it's douchey.

Hmmm not really. Whoever can change the tyre, change the tyre.
Original post by leavingthecity
Hmmm not really. Whoever can change the tyre, change the tyre.

Nah, I'll admit I'm old fashion that way.
Nah, I'll admit I'm old fashion that way.

No, you are lazy.

Gender roles 'suit you' because you have benefitted from the liberation and freedom that many women in the past worked hard for, but you'd rather take the benefits of equality and use them to be lazy and a sponge.
Original post by RobML
Well, you're certainly overcompensating for that, and that's why I mention insecurity.

No, that's just what happens. Stop questioning how it works. How many relationships have you been in where you've never bought your girlfriend anything, if you've ever been in one?
Reply 74
No, that's just what happens. Stop questioning how it works. How many relationships have you been in where you've never bought your girlfriend anything, if you've ever been in one?

There's a vast middle ground betweem never buying anything and always buying everything, you know
No, you are lazy.

Gender roles 'suit you' because you have benefitted from the liberation and freedom that many women in the past worked hard for, but you'd rather take the benefits of equality and use them to be lazy and a sponge.

Exactly I want to be a lazy ****.
Then edit the thread title and OP to make it clear that this has nothing to do with romantic ideals and maybe just call it; 'I am a lazy c***and here's examples'

No thanks I like the title
I wouldn't say that I'm old fashioned, I think that I have pretty progressive views.

But I walk on the right side of the pavement when accompanying a lady, I would hold up an umbrella for her when walking, hold doors (if convenient) and I always offer to pay on dates (except for one time when I did actually lose my wallet, not an excuse I promise). Maybe its a little old fashioned, but I just consider it good manners.
Original post by RobML
There's a vast middle ground betweem never buying anything and always buying everything, you know

I'm not saying 'everything' as in absolutely everything, obviously.

Good God stop overthinking it
Reply 79
I'm not saying 'everything' as in absolutely everything, obviously.

Good God stop overthinking it

lol ur whipped m8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending