Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is infectious mononucleosis or glandular fever this bad? Super desperate for help Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've had fevers, chills and all for the past week and a half. A week and a half ago, I noticed my throat becoming a little irritated and itchy. A few days later, I noticed pus on one of my tonsils. It was only this week on the Monday where my left tonsil started swelling up, making it diffcult to swallow, eat, drink and sleep. I've been taking paracetamol, doing aspirin gargles, difflam gargles and taking ibuprofen.It's worsened these past 3 days and even though I made 2 entries into the ER, they prescribed me codeine the first time which didn't do much and endone the second time which was good temporarily - until I felt like the world was spinning around and I vomitted 6 times the same day afterwards. I can feel the left side of my mouth/throat/tonsil much larger than than the right side. And in the past 3 days, it doesn't seem like it has changed.

Anyone here who's had infectious mono/glandular fever who has had pain like this? I'm in my 20s, and I've never had pain like this before. I can barely drink (I actually can't eat) and it's so frustrating because I've got a ton of assessments coming up next and I've missed so much class as a result of this. I can't even sleep at night becuase I'll wake up after 2-3 hours in pain. Anyone got any tips? I'm getting so desperate here and I just want to cry out of frustration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodascat)
    So I've had fevers, chills and all for the past week and a half. A week and a half ago, I noticed my throat becoming a little irritated and itchy. A few days later, I noticed pus on one of my tonsils. It was only this week on the Monday where my left tonsil started swelling up, making it diffcult to swallow, eat, drink and sleep. I've been taking paracetamol, doing aspirin gargles, difflam gargles and taking ibuprofen.It's worsened these past 3 days and even though I made 2 entries into the ER, they prescribed me codeine the first time which didn't do much and endone the second time which was good temporarily - until I felt like the world was spinning around and I vomitted 6 times the same day afterwards. I can feel the left side of my mouth/throat/tonsil much larger than than the right side. And in the past 3 days, it doesn't seem like it has changed.

Anyone here who's had infectious mono/glandular fever who has had pain like this? I'm in my 20s, and I've never had pain like this before. I can barely drink (I actually can't eat) and it's so frustrating because I've got a ton of assessments coming up next and I've missed so much class as a result of this. I can't even sleep at night becuase I'll wake up after 2-3 hours in pain. Anyone got any tips? I'm getting so desperate here and I just want to cry out of frustration.
    That's exactly what it's like and you just have to sit it out. I lost over 1stone in weight, didn't eat anything for a week and could barely drink. I barely slept as my throat was so swollen I was in too much pain. I was in bed for over a week unable to do anything, I found it too exhausting just to be sat up.

ReputationRep:
    Probably worth getting a sicknote from your GP if it's going to overrun your assessments so you'll have evidence when you ask for an extension.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm in actually so much pain at the moment - even swallowing my own saliva is painful. Eating and drinking are near impossible.

Just want an indication of how bad the twelling of tonsils was until it subsided? This is by far the worst physical pain I've had my whole life. (((

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.