Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've moved 150 miles from my family home to be with my fiancée, who I met at uni two years ago. We are in love and it's a serious relationship, I wanted to leave my old job due to nasty manager, and I wasn't having any luck with applying for grad roles.

Therefore, my partner got me a job at McDonalds (as much as I wasn't keen) to pay bills so I could move over.

I've worked at McDonald's for five shifts now, and I really dislike it. I hate getting up in the morning purely because I don't wanna go to work, in fact, if I were not to wake up, that would be perfect.

See, I suffer from social anxiety, find it hard to ask questions out of fear of looking silly, especially if I've already asked it. I get easily stressed as it builds up, and I end up having a breakdown. Hence, my not wanting to get out of bed in morning, the only time I'm happy here is when I'm cuddled up with partner in bed. Side note: I've had psychotherapy privately for a good year now, which I've had to finish as I moved away.

The work itself is easy, just there is a lot to remember. It's just the checklist culture, rules for everything, and in busy periods people just shout stuff at you and expect you to know what The hell they are talking about. Also, ive overheard people saying they aren't keen on me since I take myself too seriously, and I'm "dead serious".

The surroundings are different here too, it's industrial, people have no manners, loads of chavs, and it's all concrete. Even things like the accent grate on me- all the small things I notice, make me want to stay in the house.

Above all, it's the fact I feel homesick and I'm struggling to adjust.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by royal1990)
    I've moved 150 miles from my family home to be with my fiancée, who I met at uni two years ago. We are in love and it's a serious relationship, I wanted to leave my old job due to nasty manager, and I wasn't having any luck with applying for grad roles.

Therefore, my partner got me a job at McDonalds (as much as I wasn't keen) to pay bills so I could move over.

I've worked at McDonald's for five shifts now, and I really dislike it. I hate getting up in the morning purely because I don't wanna go to work, in fact, if I were not to wake up, that would be perfect.

See, I suffer from social anxiety, find it hard to ask questions out of fear of looking silly, especially if I've already asked it. I get easily stressed as it builds up, and I end up having a breakdown. Hence, my not wanting to get out of bed in morning, the only time I'm happy here is when I'm cuddled up with partner in bed. Side note: I've had psychotherapy privately for a good year now, which I've had to finish as I moved away.

The work itself is easy, just there is a lot to remember. It's just the checklist culture, rules for everything, and in busy periods people just shout stuff at you and expect you to know what The hell they are talking about. Also, ive overheard people saying they aren't keen on me since I take myself too seriously, and I'm "dead serious".

The surroundings are different here too, it's industrial, people have no manners, loads of chavs, and it's all concrete. Even things like the accent grate on me- all the small things I notice, make me want to stay in the house.

Above all, it's the fact I feel homesick and I'm struggling to adjust.
    I would keep looking for any other possible work as mcdonalds sounds like the worst place for you at the moment. Homesickness will take time to go away but look into places in your city that remind you of home or find some green space that might be more peaceful. Do you have any hobbies you used to enjoy at home that you might be able to take up again?

ReputationRep:
    Five shifts at McDonalds & you're already feeling suicidal?
    How do you think this guy feels?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460807965.667067.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  6.5 KB

Joking aside; Don't see it as a job that you'll be progressing in. See it as a job that will pay for your move, plus you could save to make a move to a more desirable location, all while keeping your other half happy. Then you just look for a new job whilst still employed
    ;-) At the very least you should stay employed until you get another job, however long that takes.

Regarding your co-workers & in general; Don't care what someone is saying about you if they don't mean anything to you. :-)

PlGLET

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.