Yes, I'm pretty sure it is

By standard definitions, a = v-u/t, which is independent of mass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it is

By standard definitions, a = v-u/t, which is independent of mass
    (Original post by Helpmeoutplease)
    F=ma
    a=F/m and so a larger mass will result in a lower acceleration provided the force is constant
    https://e3ab10733179873e9fd16d54c56b...%20A-level.pdf

Question 1cii
    Mark scheme says Acceleration is independent of mass, acceleration stays the same?
    This doesn't accept F=ma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)

Question 1cii
    Mark scheme says Acceleration is independent of mass, acceleration stays the same?
    This doesn't accept F=ma
    force of gravity is also proportional to m. so f=mgsintheta, ma=mgsintheta a=gsintheta hence is independent of mass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)

Question 1cii
    This doesn't accept F=ma
    F is mgsinx so m cancels out in this case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    force of gravity is also proportional to m. so f=mgsintheta, ma=mgsintheta a=gsintheta hence is independent of mass
    So is this the reason why Acceleration is the same even when the mass is increased?
    And this is why time taken to travel distance is the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    So is this the reason why Acceleration is the same even when the mass is increased?
    And this is why time taken to travel distance is the same
    yes

ReputationRep:
    yes
    hey do you do chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lola1244)
    hey do you do chemistry
    Yes why

ReputationRep:
    Yes why

One method used to inflate air bags in cars is to use nitrogen produced chemically from the decomposition ofsodium azide. The sodium formed reacts with potassium nitrate to give more nitrogen.2 NaN3(s)  2 Na(s) + 3 N2(g)10 Na(s) + 2 KNO3(s)  K2O(s) + 5 Na2O(s) + N2(g)a) In what ratio (by mass) must the sodium azide and potassium nitrate be mixed in order that no metallic sodiumremains after the reaction?b) Calculate the total mass of the solid mixture needed to inflate a 60.0 dm3air bag at room temperature andatmospheric pressure.

(the squares are arrows)

for a the answer is 1:3.11
    confused a to how, if you get a chance could you look over??

ReputationRep:
    i got 3.21:1

ReputationRep:
    One method used to inflate air bags in cars is to use nitrogen produced chemically from the decomposition ofsodium azide. The sodium formed reacts with potassium nitrate to give more nitrogen.2 NaN3(s)  2 Na(s) + 3 N2(g)10 Na(s) + 2 KNO3(s)  K2O(s) + 5 Na2O(s) + N2(g)a) In what ratio (by mass) must the sodium azide and potassium nitrate be mixed in order that no metallic sodiumremains after the reaction?b) Calculate the total mass of the solid mixture needed to inflate a 60.0 dm3air bag at room temperature andatmospheric pressure.

(the squares are arrows)

for a the answer is 1:3.11
    confused a to how, if you get a chance could you look over??
    Well if for every 2 moles of nan3 we make 2 moles of Na, and 10 moles of Na will react with 2 moles of KNO3 the ratio of moles will be 10:2 =5:1 (since 10 moles of nan3 will make 10 moles of na which will be converted by 2 moles of kno3). Then you just need to convert it to a mass ratio using the molar masses

ReputationRep:
    Well if for every 2 moles of nan3 we make 2 moles of Na, and 10 moles of Na will react with 2 moles of KNO3 the ratio of moles will be 10:2 =5:1 (since 10 moles of nan3 will make 10 moles of na which will be converted by 2 moles of kno3). Then you just need to convert it to a mass ratio using the molar masses
    i did that and got what i said above? think they forgot to times something by 10

ReputationRep:
    i did that and got what i said above? think they forgot to times something by 10
    Im not sure, im on my phone so i havent actually done the calculation to get to the ratio. Its probably a typo in the mark scheme

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.