The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design (3D) PROD3 10th JUNE 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meganseahorses
Same there are only 3 people in my class and there hasn't been another product design class for the past three years at my school so the teachers have no idea what they are doing. Scraped an E in exam last year :0

SAME! You would think that with only 3 people in a class the teacher would be able to muster a single lesson of theory over the past two years of studying the course!!
Original post by Shweeden
Does anyone know any popular products to do case studies on? I have the Wassily Chair, the Barcelona Chair, basically lots of furniture from the Bauhaus movement but nothing else. Maybe anything that is minimalist or postmodern?

see the two words I understood in that were "chair" and "bauhaus"... #screwed
Good luck everyone! Don't worry about it, the examiners report will be rammed with the usual brutality anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck for to day everyone

God knows some of us are going to need it
Good luck everyone! Hope we get a decent exam haha
Good luck everyone. We're all in this together.
I thought it wasn't too bad/went better than i thought it would, Answered Question 3 on testing materials, question 4 on the protection/ergonomics and question 6 on crude oil and Smart materials
Question 1 was an absolute gift

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by Chrisj98
Question 1 was an absolute gift

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i know, but the drawing part was very weird
How did everyone find the exam? I answered question 1 but didn't have a clue about the drawing bit 😂 Also answered the material testing and the question with the fences and the toothbrush
Reply 90
Who else didn't do too well ?!!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I did question 1 but felt the drawing bit was a bit random, did we really just have to draw one single 3d product? Thats what I did... slightly worried as surely thats not 8 marks.

I then did the materials testing question that I thought was okay, although I got a bit mixed up on toughness's definition, I liked the CAD part again though.

Then I did the fences and tooth brush question last, liked the toothbrush bit but because it said 'critically' evaluate, Im not sure I did it right. I pointed out all the good bits rather than criticized it but ah. And I like the galvanizing part, but I had no glue what pressure treatment was!

How did everyone find it? I wasn't really that happy with it if I'm honest! :frown:
Original post by sebnagy22
How did everyone find the exam? I answered question 1 but didn't have a clue about the drawing bit 😂 Also answered the material testing and the question with the fences and the toothbrush
I did the exact same questions, how do you think you did? :smile:
Did anyone do the question on fabrication? The first part to question 1 was common sense really lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophieann14
I did the exact same questions, how do you think you did? :smile:

I'm not really sure tbh, I think I did decent on the first question except from the drawing part but it was only 8 marks.
For the material testing I did the brinel test for hardness, drew diagrams etc and for toughness I did the bickers test and a strength test as toughness is kind of strength and hardness combined right? :/

For protection I said why galvanising is good drew diagrams etc and did the same for pressure treatment although that was mainly a guess.

For the tooth brush I mentioned some good bits which it had such as the grip and I said that the handle may be bigger, textures added on the handle for grip, injection moulding to improve aesthetics such as colours for males, female and children, different heads may also be added to suit different people, I did more but can't remember now 😩😂

There was another question I did after the material testing but I can't remember what it was 🤔
I'm not really sure tbh, I think I did decent on the first question except from the drawing part but it was only 8 marks.
For the material testing I did the brinel test for hardness, drew diagrams etc and for toughness I did the bickers test and a strength test as toughness is kind of strength and hardness combined right? :/

For protection I said why galvanising is good drew diagrams etc and did the same for pressure treatment although that was mainly a guess.

For the tooth brush I mentioned some good bits which it had such as the grip and I said that the handle may be bigger, textures added on the handle for grip, injection moulding to improve aesthetics such as colours for males, female and children, different heads may also be added to suit different people, I did more but can't remember now 😩😂

There was another question I did after the material testing but I can't remember what it was 🤔

Im the same, I literally just drew the product once and thats it in 3D, felt like that was so little work for 8 marks? Is that all you did?

For hardness I also sort of did the brinell test, but because it was a workshop test rather than an industry one I said that a dot punch and a hammer were used to do it instead of the full machine thing. But I wasnt sure how they would measure the indentation in a workshop so I said a microscope but I dont think they'd have access to that, also put a micrometer but I'm really unsure.

For toughness I accidentally took it as wear resistance, they're so similar so I said that youd rub it with an abrasive and the tougher it is the less that would come off. Spoke about the weight of it being measured before and after. Turns out toughness its its ability to absorb energy without breaking :/ ?

I said about zinc to galvanise it, completley guessed the pressure thing for the wood too - I said it got sprayed with a lot of pressure with a liquid that protects it from insects and rotting etc.

Ahhh you sound like you did well on the tooth brush bit, I just wrote loads of good points rather than any impovements, I said about the grip, being overmoulded, the use of colour to appeal to everyone, the grooves to fit the users fingers, the use of nylon for the bristles to improve comfort whilst still cleaning etc. etc.

So unsure on how I did haha! Good luck to you :smile:
Im the same, I literally just drew the product once and thats it in 3D, felt like that was so little work for 8 marks? Is that all you did?

For hardness I also sort of did the brinell test, but because it was a workshop test rather than an industry one I said that a dot punch and a hammer were used to do it instead of the full machine thing. But I wasnt sure how they would measure the indentation in a workshop so I said a microscope but I dont think they'd have access to that, also put a micrometer but I'm really unsure.

For toughness I accidentally took it as wear resistance, they're so similar so I said that youd rub it with an abrasive and the tougher it is the less that would come off. Spoke about the weight of it being measured before and after. Turns out toughness its its ability to absorb energy without breaking :/ ?

I said about zinc to galvanise it, completley guessed the pressure thing for the wood too - I said it got sprayed with a lot of pressure with a liquid that protects it from insects and rotting etc.

Ahhh you sound like you did well on the tooth brush bit, I just wrote loads of good points rather than any impovements, I said about the grip, being overmoulded, the use of colour to appeal to everyone, the grooves to fit the users fingers, the use of nylon for the bristles to improve comfort whilst still cleaning etc. etc.

So unsure on how I did haha! Good luck to you :smile:

It looks like you didn't do bad either, do you know what followed up after the material testing I can't remember?
It looks like you didn't do bad either, do you know what followed up after the material testing I can't remember?

More about CAD, how it can be used to help with testing before manufacture. Liked that one!
More about CAD, how it can be used to help with testing before manufacture. Liked that one!

Anyone do the fabrication question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who else new a lot of answers but could only knew the answers to just one half of the set questions?:frown: So annoyed I didn't get to answer the toothbrush question because I knew nothing about galvanising fences or using pressure treatments on wood or whatever. regrets but at least the boundaries are so low :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest