Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bridging GCSE to A levels (Biology, maths and chemistry) watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like your help on how to fill the gap between Gcse' s and A levels for these subjects please.
    I want to study medicine and believe an access course would limit my choices, therefore I applied to do A levels.
    I considered these books to study during the summer
    MathBridgingGCSEanLevel
    • New Head Start to A-level Biology by CGP Books
    • New Head Start to A-level Chemistry by CGP Books

Collins Maths - Bridging GCSE to A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatK2014)
    I would like your help on how to fill the gap between Gcse' s and A levels for these subjects please.
    I want to study medicine and believe an access course would limit my choices, therefore I applied to do A levels.
    MathBridgingGCSEanLevel

Tbh I don't think there is a big benefit in doing this. You are going to learn it all again in lessons anyway so unless you really struggled at GCSE, I think a better use of your time is to make sure you have everything organised (folders, revision guides, textbooks etc.), make sure you remember key concepts from GCSE and just enjoy not revising as you are going to have many years of very hard work ahead! (Having said that, if you want to fill the gap anyway I do think the CGP books are good!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilacFlorence)
    Tbh I don't think there is a big benefit in doing this. You are going to learn it all again in lessons anyway so unless you really struggled at GCSE, I think a better use of your time is to make sure you have everything organised (folders, revision guides, textbooks etc.), make sure you remember key concepts from GCSE and just enjoy not revising as you are going to have many years of very hard work ahead! (Having said that, if you want to fill the gap anyway I do think the CGP books are good!)
    I didn't struggle at all with GCSE, i find it easy...BUT I was not doing double science, so there is more to learn.I did the ocr 21st century book.
    I bought the Head start books in biology and chemistry, It is quite depressing doing them all by myself and having none to ask questions though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatK2014)
    MathBridgingGCSEanLevel

They are good and I wished id spent more time on them tbh. If you want to do medicine try and get as much of your work experience/volunteering organised now. Apply for hospital work experience early and the same with other stuff. It'll save you so much stress in yr 12.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

If you would like to spend your Summer doing something that is really going to benefit your application to medical school and bring your text books to life while you are studying for your A.Levels, I would highly recommend getting some relevant medical work experience. You can find out more about how we can help you to get relevant, short-term hospital experience in exciting overseas locations at www.gapmedics.co.uk.

You may also be interested in our free 'Getting into Medical School' guide which is full of hints and tips about the application process.

Good luck
    Lauren

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.