Jennifer50
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the function of an electric field in a time of flight mass spectrometer and how do you create positive ions?
Roxy1331
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jennifer50)
What is the function of an electric field in a time of flight mass spectrometer and how do you create positive ions?
High voltage is applied which cause the atoms to lose electrons, forming +ve ions. If I remember correctly, the electric fields cause the ions to accelerate.
NNB_Herath
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The positive ions are formed after VAPORISATION of the sample.
It is formed by the use of an electron gun (in the mass spectrometer) which shoots fast moving high energy electrons onto the atoms.
This causes an electron to be removed from the atom.

Electric field is needed to accelerate the ions that was produced
Jennifer50
Rep:
?
Are the positive ions then dissolved in a volatile solvent?
NNB_Herath
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are the positive ions then dissolved in a volatile solvent?
As I know,
The answer for that is NO
Jennifer50
Rep:
?
So esentially you apply heat to vaporise the sample, and then use an electron gun? But don't you have to dissolve the original sample in a volatile solvent and then use the electron gun?
Asad_2015
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The sample being investigated is first dissolved in a volatile substance and forced through a fine hollow needle which is connected to a positive terminal of high voltage. Which then produces tiny positive charged droplets which have lost electrons to the positive charge of the supply. These just produced positive ions are accelerate towards the negative charged plate. Lighter ions and more highly charged ions achieve a higher speed. The ions need to be produced so they can accelerate towards the negative plate and pick up an electron form the detector when they reach it, which causes a current to flpw :P. etc.etc.
NNB_Herath
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by roxy1331)
high voltage is applied which cause the atoms to lose electrons, forming +ve ions. If i remember correctly, the electric fields cause the ions to accelerate.
hey hey )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads