Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    This is my entry for the festival thingymabob thingy (exactly 500 words). It's a cross between the vine below and some Harry Potter fanfiction. Enjoy. (The format isn't saving so I'll edit it now).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A howler

‘Today is going to be the day’, Thomas beamed.

‘You say that every morning, Tom,’ Sean said, taking his copy of ‘Which Owl?' by Miranda Goshawk from his locker.

‘True, but today is going to be different, I just know it. If I can pronounce Wingardium Leviosa correctly, I can definitely say hi and charm her socks off, one way or another.’

‘What’s the plan?’

‘I’ll…write her a note in class.’

‘I hope it works. You’ll have a chance in our lesson on ornithology next. It’s going to be a hoot,’ Sean quipped.

Thomas groaned and closed his locker, oblivious to the Extendable Ears that were planted inside, the string of which stretched to just beyond the last locker of the row in the ear of a short, blond wizard lurking in the shadow of it. The green crest on his Slytherin robe glimmered with envy, and the sound of a plan hatching in his mind was akin to that of a safe being cracked. It was the sound of the locker next to him being unlocked as a witch glared at him. ‘Scram, Ernest!’ she scowled, and he scampered away.

As Thomas got closer to the classroom, his heart felt as though a herd of elephants were playing Lacrosse in oversized helmets inside. He knew that she would be there before anyone else, sitting right at the front, and that most of the lesson would be spent doodling ‘Susie’ on paper and stealing glances at her. Sure enough, he saw her there, her head buried in her books.Thomas stood rooted to the spot. Sean nudged him, walked around him and took the desk two spaces to the right of her, giving Thomas the confidence to sit in between them. The class filled up in dribs and drabs, including Ernest who took up the seat behind Sean.

Susie put the ‘aw’ in Ravenclaw. A kind smile, black shoulder-length hair and eyes that Thomas would get lost in.

He did just that. Unbeknownst to Thomas, Ernest pulled out his wand under his desk and flicked his hand to swap the paper on Thomas’ desk for something sinister. Sean saw something strange happening out of the corner of his eye as he stared out of the window, but would not realise until it was too late.

‘Now or never, ’ thought Thomas. His quill shook slightly as he wrote a message on some paper on his desk and, with all of the confidence that he could muster, smiled and passed the note to Susie.

Sean realised what was about to happen, as did Ernest, who looked up from the book that he was pretending to read. ‘Dude, that’s a howler!’ Sean exclaimed.

Thomas’ stomach churned. ‘Wait!’ he said to Susie, as she was opening the note.

‘I THINK YOU’RE REALLY PRETTY!’ howled the howler.

Ernest smirked. Sean looked away. Thomas, overwhelmed by embarrassment, flipped his table over and bolted out.

Susie smiled, scribbled on the howler and put it away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    This is my entry for the festival thingymabob thingy (exactly 500 words). It's a cross between the vine below and some Harry Potter fanfiction. Enjoy. (The format isn't saving so I'll edit it now).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A howler

‘You say that every morning, Tom,’ Sean said, taking his copy of ‘Which Owl?' by Miranda Goshawk from his locker.

‘True, but today is going to be different, I just know it. If I can pronounce Wingardium Leviosa correctly, I can definitely say hi and charm her socks off, one way or another.’

‘What’s the plan?’

‘I hope it works. You’ll have a chance in our lesson on ornithology next. It’s going to be a hoot,’ Sean quipped.

Thomas groaned and closed his locker, oblivious to the Extendable Ears that were planted inside, the string of which stretched to just beyond the last locker of the row in the ear of a short, blond wizard lurking in the shadow of it. The green crest on his Slytherin robe glimmered with envy, and the sound of a plan hatching in his mind was akin to that of a safe being cracked. It was the sound of the locker next to him being unlocked as a witch glared at him. ‘Scram, Ernest!’ she scowled, and he scampered away.

As Thomas got closer to the classroom, his heart felt as though a herd of elephants were playing Lacrosse in oversized helmets inside. He knew that she would be there before anyone else, sitting right at the front, and that most of the lesson would be spent doodling ‘Susie’ on paper and stealing glances at her. Sure enough, he saw her there, her head buried in her books.Thomas stood rooted to the spot. Sean nudged him, walked around him and took the desk two spaces to the right of her, giving Thomas the confidence to sit in between them. The class filled up in dribs and drabs, including Ernest who took up the seat behind Sean.

Susie put the ‘aw’ in Ravenclaw. A kind smile, black shoulder-length hair and eyes that Thomas would get lost in.

He did just that. Unbeknownst to Thomas, Ernest pulled out his wand under his desk and flicked his hand to swap the paper on Thomas’ desk for something sinister. Sean saw something strange happening out of the corner of his eye as he stared out of the window, but would not realise until it was too late.

‘Now or never, ’ thought Thomas. His quill shook slightly as he wrote a message on some paper on his desk and, with all of the confidence that he could muster, smiled and passed the note to Susie.

Sean realised what was about to happen, as did Ernest, who looked up from the book that he was pretending to read. ‘Dude, that’s a howler!’ Sean exclaimed.

Ernest smirked. Sean looked away. Thomas, overwhelmed by embarrassment, flipped his table over and bolted out.

unoriginal and dull

made me yawn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    A howler

‘What’s the plan?’

I like Harry Potter fanfics and I thought yours was very good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 23, 2016
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.