Gateway Vet Med 2016 RVC

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have an offer to start in September for the vet gateway at RVC and ive put it as my firm!! Just wondering if anyone else has because Id love to say hi haha! Congrats in advance 😃

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer yesterday!! I'll be going in September this year, it's my firm also
    I'm soooo excited

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to you both, you must be very pleased I'm a current RVC first year, so if you have any questions about studying here I'd be happy to answer them. Best of luck for your upcoming exams and hope to see you here in September!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got my offer for gateway yesterday and I'm so happy, it's my firm. Congratulations to you two as well

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I have an offer for the gateway programme as well and have firmed

ReputationRep:
    There's a page on Facebook for all of you with offers It's here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/508192855972453/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Congratulations to you both, you must be very pleased I'm a current RVC first year, so if you have any questions about studying here I'd be happy to answer them. Best of luck for your upcoming exams and hope to see you here in September!
    hi, is there anything you're glad you bought before starting uni or anything you wish you had bought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacey2016)
    hi, is there anything you're glad you bought before starting uni or anything you wish you had bought
    Hi there!

The student union website has pages where you can buy everything you need through uni. I'm not sure about Gateway, but for first year BVetMed we need two white lab coats, a khaki boiler suit embroidered with our name and course, and a pair of steel capped boots. These don't have to be bought via the SU, so if you find stuff for cheaper on Amazon or whatever then go for it, but I'd recommend waiting until you get a list of things to buy from the RVC.

Other than that, there's nothing I can think of that I wish I'd bought. If anything, it's the opposite, I bought some things (upon moving into halls, not before) that I haven't really ended up using much, (e.g. a printer). I travelled to halls by myself so I came with the bare minimum to prevent me having to carry around too much, and I'd probably recommend doing the same. I just popped down to a nearby retail park shortly after moving in to get all my kitchen/bedding stuff sorted.

I wouldn't recommend buying any textbooks, at all. The library is well stocked and you can take out up to ten books for as long as you want if you keep using them. I bought a couple of books prior to starting my course, and to be honest it was a waste of money. If you're desperate for something to keep then I'd at least recommend waiting a few weeks/months and borrowing different books to get a feel for which ones work best with you. You can buy some textbooks through the RVC at a discount price.

EDIT: Just an afterthought, something I would suggest looking into is rail/coachcards. They're expensive on the outset, but it's easy to make them well worth it. You'll probably be travelling around a lot, for example for EMS. Santander give you a free railcard if you have a student account with them (I'm not on commission, honest! It's worth shopping round anyway. HSBC have a better overdraft, look at interest rates etc etc). National Express Coachcards are only £10 (and again one of the banks gives them out as a freebie), and since they get you 1/3 off of travel I made that money back within only two placements.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I want to apply for the gateway at RVC this year, and I'm just wondering how much of the criteria you lot filled? And whether they consider other things that aren't on the list (i.e. illness during exams)?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica Mighall)
    Hi there, I want to apply for the gateway at RVC this year, and I'm just wondering how much of the criteria you lot filled? And whether they consider other things that aren't on the list (i.e. illness during exams)?

Thank you
    As far as I know:

You need to meet at least three of them. Meeting more won't give you any advantage.

There aren't any things not listed that they would take into consideration. Illness during exams is nothing to do with Widening Participation. If that was the case you can/should have applied for extenuating circumstances with your exam boards, who may have inflated your grades slightly. Illness can also be included by your teachers on your UCAS reference.

ReputationRep:
    Hello How are you enjoying your course. Can you help with any feedback on the interview process as I have just found out I have an interview for Gateway this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie432)
    Hello How are you enjoying your course. Can you help with any feedback on the interview process as I have just found out I have an interview for Gateway this year.
    Well done on getting an interview People here can't give away anything too specific as it would give you an unfair advantage, but there's a thread for general interview advice at the top of the forum

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 13, 2017
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.