AS Physics - Motion of a point on a wave help!

Watch
Someboady
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay so heres the question
Name:  motionofwave.png
Views: 233
Size:  78.8 KBclick on it and it should enlarge
How do I do this with an explanation please!
Also what if the question was a different and it wasn't a stationary wave... just your standard transverse wave and the point X was at say a different point how would I know what direction it would move?
M0nkey Thunder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Someboady)
Also what if the question was a different and it wasn't a stationary wave... just your standard transverse wave and the point X was at say a different point how would I know what direction it would move?
Well I think the question is not so much about which direction it moves in, but how it moves. You know that X has amplitude and amplitude is directly proportional to intensity; as a result, it will vibrate with its equilibrium being the centre around which it vibrates.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a standing wave. So it is only going to move up and down.

If it was a travelling wave then the point would move along the line described by y=Acos(kx-wt+\phi)
username2385417
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it were a transverse wave, as the wave moved say to the right, and the region of compression moved to the right, the point would move to the left.
nickg15b
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
good revision website for physics saved me a couple of times www.technocratnotes.com

and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

can you add this to your originalpost please so that any new ppl to the thread see this. thanks
james813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no "horizontal" displacement in a stationary wave, so point X or any other point on the wave would just move up and down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (228)
43.43%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.62%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (112)
21.33%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (59)
11.24%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.33%

Watched Threads