Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so heres the question
    Name:  motionofwave.png
Views: 85
Size:  78.8 KBclick on it and it should enlarge
    How do I do this with an explanation please!
    Also what if the question was a different and it wasn't a stationary wave... just your standard transverse wave and the point X was at say a different point how would I know what direction it would move?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Also what if the question was a different and it wasn't a stationary wave... just your standard transverse wave and the point X was at say a different point how would I know what direction it would move?
    Well I think the question is not so much about which direction it moves in, but how it moves. You know that X has amplitude and amplitude is directly proportional to intensity; as a result, it will vibrate with its equilibrium being the centre around which it vibrates.

ReputationRep:
    It's a standing wave. So it is only going to move up and down.

If it was a travelling wave then the point would move along the line described by y=Acos(kx-wt+\phi)

ReputationRep:
    If it were a transverse wave, as the wave moved say to the right, and the region of compression moved to the right, the point would move to the left.

ReputationRep:
    good revision website for physics saved me a couple of times www.technocratnotes.com

and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

can you add this to your originalpost please so that any new ppl to the thread see this. thanks

ReputationRep:
    There is no "horizontal" displacement in a stationary wave, so point X or any other point on the wave would just move up and down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.