Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I am currently a Psychology Student at Hull, however I am in talks currently of transferring to a different uni and a different course. I was wondering if anyone on here does the Media Production course as I'm interested in switching to that. And if anyone has anything they could say about the uni itself that would be incredibly helpful.Many thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by LividLion)
    Hi,I am currently a Psychology Student at Hull, however I am in talks currently of transferring to a different uni and a different course. I was wondering if anyone on here does the Media Production course as I'm interested in switching to that. And if anyone has anything they could say about the uni itself that would be incredibly helpful.Many thanks!
    what would you like to know about the uni itself? , i went there for a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    what would you like to know about the uni itself? , i went there for a couple of years
    What is the campus like itself? The facilities, the faculty, the city. All the general questions really, I won't be able to attend an open day prior to my choosing which uni I wan't to transfer to, so I guess I'm trying to learn as much about all my shortlisted unis before I make a decision.

Thanks for the reply!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    What is the campus like itself? The facilities, the faculty, the city. All the general questions really, I won't be able to attend an open day prior to my choosing which uni I wan't to transfer to, so I guess I'm trying to learn as much about all my shortlisted unis before I make a decision.

Thanks for the reply!
    Okay where to start, i like the campus as it's all together in 4 different zones so you can walk from one end to the other in about 15 mintues, there's always plenty of places to grab a coffee and its not too expensive either. The library is 24 hours term time and generally there's plenty of pc's to go round. Everyone gets a free sports centre membership, it can get a bit busy there to begin with but its alright if you time it earlier and there's plenty of free classes too.

The campus is literally a 5-10 min walk to the city centre. The living costs are pretty cheap, i have mates that went to manchester and liverpool and its a fair bit cheaper in preston. I guess the only complaint would be that Preston is a bit on the small side compared to manchester and liverpool (although its only a tenner on the train with a railcard to go to either of them and less than an hour trip if you get the direct services) , we have new look, primark, h&ms etc but they are quite small stores. There's something like 90 takeaways and plenty of bakeries and coffee shops though.There's now going to be 2 lidls and 2 aldis in the city and theres a bus to asda every 8 mins from campus.

I'm not a clubbing person but its not too bad on that front and taxi fares arent too bad.
    I didnt do a media course so can't help much on the faculty questions but the media factory where they have those courses seems to be a pretty good building and i think opens late sometimes to use some of the stuff in there.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Okay where to start, i like the campus as it's all together in 4 different zones so you can walk from one end to the other in about 15 mintues, there's always plenty of places to grab a coffee and its not too expensive either. The library is 24 hours term time and generally there's plenty of pc's to go round. Everyone gets a free sports centre membership, it can get a bit busy there to begin with but its alright if you time it earlier and there's plenty of free classes too.

The campus is literally a 5-10 min walk to the city centre. The living costs are pretty cheap, i have mates that went to manchester and liverpool and its a fair bit cheaper in preston. I guess the only complaint would be that Preston is a bit on the small side compared to manchester and liverpool (although its only a tenner on the train with a railcard to go to either of them and less than an hour trip if you get the direct services) , we have new look, primark, h&ms etc but they are quite small stores. There's something like 90 takeaways and plenty of bakeries and coffee shops though.There's now going to be 2 lidls and 2 aldis in the city and theres a bus to asda every 8 mins from campus.

I'm not a clubbing person but its not too bad on that front and taxi fares arent too bad.
    I didnt do a media course so can't help much on the faculty questions but the media factory where they have those courses seems to be a pretty good building and i think opens late sometimes to use some of the stuff in there.

Hope that helps
    That was very helpful, thanks for the detailed reply I guess it's more on the countryside kinda living style? Not much like Hull or Manchester like you said.

Once again, thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    That was very helpful, thanks for the detailed reply I guess it's more on the countryside kinda living style? Not much like Hull or Manchester like you said.

Once again, thank you
    I would call it small urban living maybe, its definitely not countryside living really
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative

Once again, thank you
    Hi LividLion,

Just to expand on Claire's very detailed description, just to provide further information and links to help you!

You can visit the About Preston page, it highlights all the major activities you can do, including nightlife.

Preston is a much smaller city than Manchester, people still often refer to it as 'town' due to its size. But everything is in walking distance, from high street shops, gym's, supermarkets etc, it is a quite compact city.

The Uni has the media factory building which contains many facilities for media studies.

More can be found here

Media Factory Preston Campus
    TV Production Studio

As Claire has mentioned, the Library is indeed open 24/7 also the Media Factory is 24/7 as well.

And yes compared to the bigger cities, Preston is a lot cheaper, I got my 2nd and 3rd Year house for £75 p/w fully inclusive, so its very affordable. If you are interested in university accommodation please see the link here.

Thank you aswell to Claire for your response, I hope both of the replies help you!

Regards,

Adam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.