The Student Room Group

Revision: Is it too late?

Hello, I have 6 weeks until my first exam (AS Chemistry resit). I planned on using the first 2 weeks to rewrite my notes (which I have already started) and then use the last 4 weeks to do past papers for that subject. Would that work? How many hours would it take? Have I given myself sufficient time to do it all? I'm not sure...I feel really anxious.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :smile:
Original post by Kwaks
Hello, I have 6 weeks until my first exam (AS Chemistry resit). I planned on using the first 2 weeks to rewrite my notes (which I have already started) and then use the last 4 weeks to do past papers for that subject. Would that work? How many hours would it take? Have I given myself sufficient time to do it all? I'm not sure...I feel really anxious.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :smile:

6 weeks is plenty of time, just make sure you use it effectively.
When rewriting your notes definetely condense them with the vital information needed to get the grade you want in the exam and keep it in order with the specification.

I think it's a bit strange going from writing on notes to doing full papst papers, mabye slow down the transition, by doing this;

Weeks 1 and 2 - Rewriting notes.
Week 3 - Past Papers with notes and unlimited time (This is to gain some confidence and to learn structure)
Week 4 - Past papers with no notes and unlimited time.
Week 5 - Past papers in exam conditions
Week 6 - Prioritise and recap vital topics and read examiners reports.

People who say you need to revise months in advance to do well are wrong, i have a terrible long term memory so i revise close to exams.

In regards to the amount of time you should spend, you should spread out the topics with different weightings, don't spend 5 hours on something you know how to do, as your doing A2, i presume, you should be doing around 8 - 10 hours per subject per week

Good luck, hope this helps. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bruce267099
6 weeks is plenty of time, just make sure you use it effectively.
When rewriting your notes definetely condense them with the vital information needed to get the grade you want in the exam and keep it in order with the specification.

I think it's a bit strange going from writing on notes to doing full papst papers, mabye slow down the transition, by doing this;

Weeks 1 and 2 - Rewriting notes.
Week 3 - Past Papers with notes and unlimited time (This is to gain some confidence and to learn structure)
Week 4 - Past papers with no notes and unlimited time.
Week 5 - Past papers in exam conditions
Week 6 - Prioritise and recap vital topics and read examiners reports.

People who say you need to revise months in advance to do well are wrong, i have a terrible long term memory so i revise close to exams.

In regards to the amount of time you should spend is spread of the topics with different weightings, don't spend 5 hours on something you know, as your doing A2, i presume, you should be doing around 8 - 10 hours per subject per week

Good luck. :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice on how to go about the revision, I feel more at ease! :biggrin:
Original post by Kwaks
Thanks for the advice on how to go about the revision, I feel more at ease! :biggrin:

I can give other people advise, but i can't seem to take my own and start. :banghead::tongue:
Reply 4
I can give other people advise, but i can't seem to take my own and start. :banghead::tongue:

I have a similar problem, it's hard to sit down andrevise...I always say I'll do it in a few minutes then postpone it xD. But Ifind when I do sit down to revise, time passes so quickly. It's weird.
Think about arriving at the exam if you have done none or when you get your results. You need to knuckle down and get your revision notes done, You will feel better then. Keep writing tasks down for you to do and ticking them off as that will give you some momentum. You have enough time to to your best.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Think about arriving at the exam if you have done none or when you get your results. You need to knuckle down and get your revision notes done, You will feel better then. Keep writing tasks down for you to do and ticking them off as that will give you some momentum. You have enough time to to your best.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to write what I need to do on post-it note right now!
Original post by Kwaks
I have a similar problem, it's hard to sit down andrevise...I always say I'll do it in a few minutes then postpone it xD. But Ifind when I do sit down to revise, time passes so quickly. It's weird.

This is literally me :biggrin:. I've done all my notes, but every time i want to revise for my final exam i have another mock exam in college and so my revision gets thrown off track and then another week goes by with no revision done, got my final mock exam next week then i can actually revise.
Reply 8
This is literally me :biggrin:. I've done all my notes, but every time i want to revise for my final exam i have another mock exam in college and so my revision gets thrown off track and then another week goes by with no revision done, got my final mock exam next week then i can actually revise.

Good Luck for the Mock! I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:
Original post by Kwaks
Good Luck for the Mock! I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:

Thanks, hope so lol, I'll be fine in my law, need to turn it around from my last economics mock only got 63/80 :yawn::unsure:
hey im in the same position lel but for a different subject.

solidarity my friends!
Reply 11
Thanks, hope so lol, I'll be fine in my law, need to turn it around from my last economics mock only got 63/80 :yawn::unsure:

That's not bad at all. I'm guess you're aiming for an A/A*?There is plenty of time to pick up those 17 marks I believe.
Original post by Kwaks
That's not bad at all. I'm guess you're aiming for an A/A*?There is plenty of time to pick up those 17 marks I believe.

I'm only in AS, so the maximum i can get this year is an A. It's 60 for an A, but i want to be predicted an A* in it next year so i need about 71. But economics is the least of my worries, still got business to revise and maths and we haven't even finished the course. :rofl3:
Reply 13
I'm only in AS, so the maximum i can get this year is an A. It's 60 for an A, but i want to be predicted an A* in it next year so i need about 71. But economics is the least of my worries, still got business to revise and maths and we haven't even finished the course. :rofl3:

Haha, we haven't finished the Chemistry course either. I don't know if I should try and learn it myself or just wait :O
Original post by Kwaks
Haha, we haven't finished the Chemistry course either. I don't know if I should try and learn it myself or just wait :O

It's like my gcse all over again. My teacher got sacked and i had to teach myself biology because my teacher was so bad.

My maths teacher isn't great at english and he's hasn't been in england that long, so statistics isn't being taught that great, i might actually teach it myself tomorrow alongside business. It'll be more productive then revision. :jive::jive:

Spoiler

i'm in the same position help
If this was GCSE, then damn the night before would even do.

Quick Reply

Latest