Can someone help explain El Nino and La Nina please?

Watch
howie1000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am not really sure how these processes effect South America and Australia is someone able to please explain the process and effects?

Thanks all
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by howie1000)
I am not really sure how these processes effect South America and Australia is someone able to please explain the process and effects?

Thanks all
El Nino refer to the appearance of warm water surfaces within Eastern Pacific ocean causing a disruption in the normal Pacific ocean circulation. The appearance of warm water cells within the eastern Pacific ocean causes the normal easterly trade winds across the pacific to slosh westwards, hence, encourages the formation of low pressure systems as warm moist air is evaporated from the surface and rises; leading to condensation and prolonged period of precipitation.

Within the western pacific coast e.g. Australia, high air pressure system are developed due to presence of colder surfaces air causing air mass to diverge, hence, causes droughts (such as the great Australian drought).

La Nina is just enhanced normal conditions: air pressure is unusually high over the west coast of South America and low over eastern Australia. As warm water is pushed westwards sea levels rise by up to 1m and so forth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads