Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is emergency planning and resilience mainly a desk based job?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ybsy75)
    Is emergency planning and resilience mainly a desk based job?
    It can vary depending on the exact role and what organisation you may potentially be placed in (talking from the experience in local government)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    It can vary depending on the exact role and what organisation you may potentially be placed in (talking from the experience in local government)
    What about emergency planning officer for a local authority?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What about emergency planning officer for a local authority?
    This could mean two things:

- Either you work on the actual sites and come back to the office to complete the required paperwork/follow through
    - or you end up working with stakeholders from different companies that could mean that you don't actually leave the office

I know one person in the latter role and someone who's not in exactly emergency planning but would do what uve described in the former. In most cases, when you apply for roles they will make it quite clear as to whether or not you go on site and how much that will be

I'm assuming you're already working?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for a statutory authority, managing risk and protecting assets so there's some relevance/ transferable experience and skills to emergency planning. Is emergency planning in emergency services and the NHS similar to that in local authorities?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, for a statutory authority, managing risk and protecting assets so there's some relevance/ transferable experience and skills to emergency planning. Is emergency planning in emergency services and the NHS similar to that in local authorities?
    That I wouldn't know as I only know of cases within local government

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. What would you do on site though as an emergency planning officer? Because the "planning" in the title sort of implies that you're planning ahead for emergencies rather than responding to emergencies and hence doing mainly desktop exercises. The only thing I can think of is arranging training exercises or doing site specific assessments, but I imagine this to be more town planning than emergency planning.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks. What would you do on site though as an emergency planning officer? Because the "planning" in the title sort of implies that you're planning ahead for emergencies rather than responding to emergencies and hence doing mainly desktop exercises. The only thing I can think of is arranging training exercises or doing site specific assessments, but I imagine this to be more town planning than emergency planning.
    Again, this is a varied question (the reason I know about this is because although I worked in the social care department within local government until last year, I had made contacts with the emergency planning department as I was thinking of switching potentially). It could be that you have you prepare health and safety exercises for companies, it could be that you are checking that fire exit routes are clear for certain departments. It could be you running mock fire drills and seeing what the pros and cons are or training people up for fire marshalls or doing first aid courses for people. Again, this would vary heavily depending on your previous skill set, what the job spec is saying and what they are looking for in terms of your exact role. So the question of whether you'd be at the desk or not can be very dependent.

ReputationRep:
    I see. As with many jobs i suppose. So what made you decide to not switch or switch in the end?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I see. As with many jobs i suppose. So what made you decide to not switch or switch in the end?
    Got a PhD offer and decided that I chose to leave the work place and go into research!

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Did the emergency planning job not appeal to you as much? And do you know how corporate the job is?i.e. Is it removed from the corporate world? Or is it very much integrated Into it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Cool. Did the emergency planning job not appeal to you as much? And do you know how corporate the job is?i.e. Is it removed from the corporate world? Or is it very much integrated Into it?
    I don't think it was the role as such, it was more that the prospect for my career would have furthered for doing a PhD and there was also some logistic reasoning as to why I chose to go down the route of a PhD in the end

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.