The Student Room Group

Economics at a good university: but my subjects are all wrong!

I have recently decided I want to study economics at uni - preferably Cambridge/LSE etc.

I got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE.
My current subjects are:
Geography
Physics
Maths
Psychology
General Studies

I am predicted AAAAA at AS level.

But I have neither economics nor further maths. Even if I took economics and further maths next year would i still be disadvantaged as they wouldn't know of my previous performances?
Would you recommend taking both the AS and A2 of economics? And is AS further maths not enough?

Should i apply anyway or would i be wasting my time?

Thank you!
Reply 1
For Cambridge you would need Further Maths unfortunately, and economics is preferable.

LSE aren't so strict and only see F. Maths as a 4th subject.

But 90% of econ students applying at the top unis do have Economics, so be wary of that, you would need to show plenty of economic knowledge to be competitive.
Reply 2
Original post by physicsperhaps
I have recently decided I want to study economics at uni - preferably Cambridge/LSE etc.

I got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE.
My current subjects are:
Geography
Physics
Maths
Psychology
General Studies

I am predicted AAAAA at AS level.

But I have neither economics nor further maths. Even if I took economics and further maths next year would i still be disadvantaged as they wouldn't know of my previous performances?
Would you recommend taking both the AS and A2 of economics? And is AS further maths not enough?

Should i apply anyway or would i be wasting my time?

Thank you!

AS FM is good as long as you focus on stats modules.

A-level economics is good to have, but not necessary. Do some reading and make sure the subject is for you.
Original post by ULT
For Cambridge you would need Further Maths unfortunately, and economics is preferable.

LSE aren't so strict and only see F. Maths as a 4th subject.

But 90% of econ students applying at the top unis do have Economics, so be wary of that, you would need to show plenty of economic knowledge to be competitive.

Thank you!

Do you know whether cambridge want further maths A2?
Reply 4
Original post by physicsperhaps
Thank you!

Do you know whether cambridge want further maths A2?

Not all colleges do, it's worth having a check on their websites as requirements vary.

I know from sources that there are students that only have AS further maths only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending