Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was watching the Peep Show and there was this one quote that really stood out to me. The quote was' It doesn't matter if you're single or in a couple, you are going to die'. I therefore concluded that nothing that we do in our everyday lives has any value. Any thoughts on this topic?

ReputationRep:
    "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone"

ReputationRep:
    It has value in terms of the way it makes us feel and think, that is life. You can't just look at the end of your life as the erase of everything that's happened, life is about experiencing and wishing and having all these wonderful thoughts and feelings that are personal to you with the people you connect with. You can't take those experiences with you so you need to live in the moment and do everything you want to do before time is up! That's why you need to seize the day!

Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riyad Mahrez)
    "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone"
    I agree, I'm starting to feel as if I'm becoming depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned.
    God is not real, he was created to give humans comfort. Death is the end, their is no heaven or hell.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what we do, we will die. Life is finite. When you or I die the world will simply keep going and forget about us. However, value is subjective. Just because we will one day die doesn't mean we can't strive to achieve things today. Just because I will one day be either buried, rotting or cremated doesn't mean I can't work to make other peoples' lives easier today or in future generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    It has value in terms of the way it makes us feel and think, that is life. You can't just look at the end of your life as the erase of everything that's happened, life is about experiencing and wishing and having all these wonderful thoughts and feelings that are personal to you with the people you connect with. You can't take those experiences with you so you need to live in the moment and do everything you want to do before time is up! That's why you need to seize the day!
    I agree with you, experiences do make our lives special and unique. However, I can't help but feeling that there has to be a reason for our existence, besides survival and having fun. Do you think we have to search for a personal reason behind our lives, or do you think all of us should have similar aims?

God is not real, he was created to give humans comfort. Death is the end, their is no heaven or hell.
    That's what you believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vennec)
    It doesn't matter what we do, we will die. Life is finite. When you or I die the world will simply keep going and forget about us. However, value is subjective. Just because we will one day die doesn't mean we can't strive to achieve things today. Just because I will one day be either buried, rotting or cremated doesn't mean I can't work to make other peoples' lives easier today or in future generations.
    That's why I came to another conclusion. Why have fun when we could all just try to work on making the Earth a better place? Ultimately, fun is good but I feel as if maybe we should all devote more time towards the development of Earth. Just a thought of mine, what is your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurtfulHarold)
    I agree with you, experiences do make our lives special and unique. However, I can't help but feeling that there has to be a reason for our existence, besides survival and having fun. Do you think we have to search for a personal reason behind our lives, or do you think all of us should have similar aims?
    I think we should personally look for the things that make us happy and fulfilled, while i think it's interesting and important to consider why we're here, I don't think it should take up so much time as to distract us from using our existence, which, regardless of how it came to be is freaking amazing, to make ourselves and others happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's what you believe.
    Religion is a drug, and to take drugs is degrading, you must learn to look life in the face. Throw away your cowardly drugs, and see the truth, the ugly, cruel, ungodly truth, as it really is.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should personally look for the things that make us happy and fulfilled, while i think it's interesting and important to consider why we're here, I don't brink it should take up so much time as to distract us from using our existence, which, regardless of how it came to be is feeling amazing, to make ourselves and others happy.
    I like the idea that we should try to make as many people as possible happy throughout our lifetime. I'm starting to understand that we don't all have to do things on a large scale but we can just focus on what's close to us, if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea that we should try to make as many people as possible happy throughout our lifetime. I'm starting to understand that we don't all have to do things on a large scale but we can just focus on what's close to us, if that makes any sense.
    I'm starting to think the same way, you live and you learn

ReputationRep:
    Religion is a drug, and to take drugs is degrading, you must learn to look life in the face. Throw away your cowardly drugs, and see the truth, the ugly, cruel, ungodly truth, as it really is.
    Personally, I like religion as it gives me hope for life after death, just not on Earth. It gives comfort to people and helps them become better people too. And at the end of the day, even if religion isn't real you haven't lost anything by practicing a religion, I would even argue that you gain more things by following one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think the same way, you live and you learn
    Thanks for your insight on this issue. I would like to think of a way that my existence can benefit the Earth in the future. However, I'm 16 and I feel like I've become slightly too philosophical due to my views of life. I guess I'll ponder about this more when I'm older and have more power.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I came to another conclusion. Why have fun when we could all just try to work on making the Earth a better place? Ultimately, fun is good but I feel as if maybe we should all devote more time towards the development of Earth. Just a thought of mine, what is your opinion?
    I would say that I am a firm believer in there being a distinct but often overlooked difference between being alive and living. We need fun, happiness and some level of danger to feel truly alive, and those things may vary depending on the individual. But we put so much focus on people being physically alive rather than emotionally so. We need both, because without one or the other we are arguably neither.

Some people find work or their job the best thing ever, but for some people it is not so enthralling. For the people who work in a dead-end or boring because they are forced to, there is no enjoyment or motivation to do better -- and that motivation or determination is often the difference between making an society-changing breakthrough and not. People who work all the time, whose life is unbalanced, will be emotionally and mentally drained constantly, and that sort of health is neither beneficial or serving.

We should definitely be paying more attention to the earth, I agree with you there. We abuse it so much at present, we need to be less PC and more focused and logical when it comes to issues such as overpopulation and industrialism.

ReputationRep:
    you haven't lost anything by practicing a religion
    Disagree, in Islam for example:
    • You're not allowed to eat Pork
    • You're not allowed to drink/smoke
    • You're not allowed sex before marriage

• and many more...

ReputationRep:
    Disagree, in Islam for example:
    • You're not allowed to eat Pork
    • You're not allowed to drink/smoke
    • You're not allowed sex before marriage
    • and many more...
    Some Muslims believe that certain prohibitions such as no drinking or smoking or sex before marriage are beneficial to their lives. However, I agree that some prohibitions are unnecessary in this day and age in first world countries, like the ban on pork for Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Death. the big D...

there is not a lot to say about it... Death is not open to dialogue; it cannot be bargained with.

After Death... nobody has ever told us what it is like to be dead.

As you would expect Master Shakeshaft has the last word:

Fear no more the heat o' the sun;
    Nor the furious winter's rages,
    Thou thy worldly task hast done,
    Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages;
    Golden lads and girls all must,
    As chimney sweepers come to dust.

Fear no more the frown of the great,
    Thou art past the tyrant's stroke:
    Care no more to clothe and eat;
    To thee the reed is as the oak:
    The sceptre, learning, physic, must
    All follow this, and come to dust.

Fear no more the lightning-flash,
    Nor the all-dread thunder-stone;
    Fear not slander, censure rash;
    Thou hast finished joy and moan;
    All lovers young, all lovers must
    Consign to thee, and come to dust.

No exorciser harm thee!
    Nor no witchcraft charm thee!
    Ghost unlaid forbear thee!
    Nothing ill come near thee!
    Quiet consummation have;
    And renowned be thy grave!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.