The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

gangrene
well, if we're talking about international prestige, which is not measurable, then i would have to say that, at least in asia, LSE and ICL probably carry more prestige than UCL. But, thank you magicalsausage, for not being scathing and rude in your remarks even if you disagreed with what I was saying! :smile:

Are you in Asia gangrene?
A £400million re-development of the Strand site started a few month ago, it won't be finished until I graduate though LOL.
Reply 22
dazmanultra
A £400million re-development of the Strand site started a few month ago, it won't be finished until I graduate though LOL.

When is it going to be ready? Will it be done by the time I graduate (I start in September and will be there for 3/4 years - grades pending)?

Cant we all just be friends and say that UCL, KCL, ICL and LSE are all very good insitutions, which in comparison to most British universities (minus Oxbridge) have very good international and domestic reputations?

NO MORE WAR!
kingslaw
When is it going to be ready? Will it be done by the time I graduate (I start in September and will be there for 3/4 years - grades pending)?

Cant we all just be friends and say that UCL, KCL, ICL and LSE are all very good insitutions, which in comparison to most British universities (minus Oxbridge) have very good international and domestic reputations?

NO MORE WAR!

Damn all that liberal crap, and yea to war (war is part of life - peace is anti-life, nihilist, death).
Reply 24
Just an LSE guy
Damn all that liberal crap, and yea to war (war is part of life - peace is anti-life, nihilist, death).

I think someones been listening to Gnostic a bit too much.
Okay - let me give a bit of running commentary, carefully selected from your inspired comments on this thread:

gangrene
i seriously doubt that ucl is as prestigous as the other four, though. UCL is still relatively unknown compared to oxbridge, imperial and lse

- Words from the genius.

gangrene
I never doubted its prestige

- Seems a bit incompatible with your previous comment, don't you think?

gangrene
i'm talking about international prestige here

- Okay, well to save conflict in future - maybe it would be a good idea if you articulated your opinion properly (rather than on a piecemeal basis, when it suits you).
gangrene
haha. i never modified my opinion

- I applaude you, for this is a truly magnificent Holmesian deduction. Well, maybe it would be, if it was actually correct. Slipping in a few comments about 'international reputation' (in my absence) sounds like modification to me.

gangrene
But, thank you magicalsausage, for not being scathing and rude in your remarks even if you disagreed with what I was saying!

If you persist in making sweeping judgements, full of unarticulated assumptions and sadly lacking in basic fact - then expect a backlash of scathing and rude criticism.
Reply 26
well you're the only rude one here.

hey i never doubted its prestige. my first comment i said i doubt its AS prestigious as the other mentioned UoL colleges. i never said it wasnt prestigious. maybe i should have defined my point better because to me, prestige includes international reputation naturally as I'm an international student. I admit that may have caused a bit of confusion with the prestige, international reputation thing, but at least I admit my mistakes. I don't take back whatever I said about UCL. I might not have evidence to back it up, but its my opinion and certainly if you're in asia, more people will know about LSE ICL and KCL than UCL. Take it or leave it. I did not force you to think my way. Good luck with your future. You'll need it with that kind of attitude. Of course, thats my opinion and its completely unbacked so no need to take notice of it. :tongue:
Reply 27
hahaha he IS gnostic! and yes, gnostic, I'm from Asia and I have relatives and friends almost everywhere in Asia, hence my HUMBLE OPINION.
gangrene
well you're the only rude one here.

hey i never doubted its prestige. my first comment i said i doubt its AS prestigious as the other mentioned UoL colleges. i never said it wasnt prestigious. maybe i should have defined my point better because to me, prestige includes international reputation naturally as I'm an international student. I admit that may have caused a bit of confusion with the prestige, international reputation thing, but at least I admit my mistakes. I don't take back whatever I said about UCL. I might not have evidence to back it up, but its my opinion and certainly if you're in asia, more people will know about LSE ICL and KCL than UCL. Take it or leave it. I did not force you to think my way. Good luck with your future. You'll need it with that kind of attitude.

I'm the only rude one here am I? Oh of course, for I'm the one who casts personal aspersions about people I don't know.

And for your information, in the future (just like at present), I will be just fine. :biggrin:

I won't respond to any more of your garbled opinions, because the time I commit to tearing them to shreds could be better spent on other projects.
Reply 29
yay! mobbdeeprob surrenders! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

no hard feelings. :tongue:
gangrene
yay! mobbdeeprob surrenders! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

no hard feelings. :tongue:

There is a difference between surrender and just walking away.
Reply 31
no lets not initiate another argument. thats cos he cant refute my opinion. :tongue: but of course, you disagree with me too about UCL so lets just leave it at that.
kingslaw
I think someones been listening to Gnostic a bit too much.

Yes, I do listen to my own voice - it's the only one that makes some bloody sense.
gangrene
hahaha he IS gnostic! and yes, gnostic, I'm from Asia and I have relatives and friends almost everywhere in Asia, hence my HUMBLE OPINION.

Ah, indeed coming from Asia how can your opinion be anything but humble? :smile:

I'm interested in you. Tell me, are you male, female, what part of asia do you come from, and where will you be studying this year in England?
Reply 34
female, hong kong, KCL
gangrene
female, hong kong, KCL

Now that the thread has become a little more civil... :wink:

Which course are you planning to study?
Reply 36
haha ok don't say "WTF?!" cos all my friends do, but war studies.
gangrene

I'm no leftie loonies - I dismiss many subjects as mickey mouse - but I've never thought of War Studies as mickey mouse. It's a very fascinating subject, and would be an ideal degree for the Civil Service etc.

When I was at KCL I went to a public lecture at the Great Law by the former Chief of Staff General something something. The Defence Secretary also gave a lecture there a few months back, as did the US Attorney General (on US homeland security).

Basically, KCL is very distinguished for War Studies.
gangrene

I wouldn't say that for a minute, because being as well versed as I am in academic literature - I know fullwell that it is a respectable course, provided by one of the flagship departments at KCL.

Along with History and International Relations, War studies is definitely one of the courses which I would look into, if I hadn't got my sights set on the law.

It is a decent, decent course - and (for once :wink: ) I would not argue about its credentials for a minute.
Reply 39
haha thats good to know. i've been trying to convince my friends + family that war studies is the way to go.

Latest

Trending

Trending