Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all

    Basically im hoping some of you can help me answer a few questions im in a bit of a grey area here. if you are familiar with bike licencing and insurance

    I did my module 1 test before i turned 24 for the A2 motorcycle category, i hoped to be on the road before i turned 24 but it didnt happen things got in the way so now im getting around to doing it, basically jumped in feet first and bought a bike and have my mod 2 booked for a few weeks time.

    GSX 750 F

    basically didnt realise 1998-2005 model is A2 legal. Unfortunately i have bought a 1996 model :/ and now im kind of stuck in what to do.

    Basically my choices are,

    1. sell the bike but its currently up at a family friends house close to where i bought it for storage around an hour away and i have no way to get it home to sell it.

    2. keep the bike and cancel my mod 2 test which is in a few weeks but out a hell of alot more money and redoing the same test on the same bike over again mod 1 and mod 2.

    3. My bike isnt a2 legal as from the manufacturers standpoint when it was made it was over 100 hp which is to large to restrict, now 20 years old it should be restrictable, now if i can get a dyno to show on paper it is below the power ratio they have legally set then technically i should be fine if i ever run into any police or anything, and i already have quotes from insurance companies with me down as a2 licence and the bike 1996 model.

    only concern there is if i ever did crash it the insurance company can go looking for a way to get out of paying and hang me out to dry? i wouldnt actually claim on my bike anyway its worth £1000 so id just be doing myself there.

    edit: also found this on

    List of motorcycles for practical riding test

    For other motorcycles not on this list, or where your motorcycle has been restricted to comply with the rules, you can use it but you must give certified proof of compliance or restriction. This must be a certificate or on headed paper from an official source (eg a main dealer, official importer or recognised specialist in restricting vehicles). Dyno certificates alone are not allowed.

    im thinking option 3, ride the bike, insure it tax it, get straight in for my full category A test.

    any ideas?


    Yes, option 3. Get your full licence as quickly as possible. The restriction is just a certificate of the kit, you won't need a dyno run. So I guess, make sure you can get a certified restriction kit for the bike.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.