Turn on thread page Beta

Favourite guitar solo? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be really boring and say Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Still sends me shivers down my spine.

Anything by Petrucci is pretty magic, especially his rendition of Comfortably numb when Dream Theater/Pink Floyd played together.

Obvs Stairway to Heaven is legendary, albeit boring in choice.

What about you guys?

ReputationRep:
    Empty rooms by Gary Moore (RIP)

ReputationRep:
    Guthrie Govan gets an honourable mention...his work is outrageously good.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully nobody is as boring as me and goes for Sweet Child o' Mine.

ReputationRep:

This sends me into musical nirvana every time I listen to it. This also from a live album.

ReputationRep:
    As a metal and rock fan there is about a billion to choose from! But this one always came up in my mind straight away. Theres even a keyboard solo thrown in in this clip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LotusTK)
    As a metal and rock fan there is about a billion to choose from! But this one always came up in my mind straight away. Theres even a keyboard solo thrown in in this clip
    One of my favourite solos too

ReputationRep:
    The guitar solo at the end of Like a Daydream by Ride always get's me somehow, it's not even particularly spectacular just something about it.

Johnny Marr's guitar solo in Bigmouth Strikes Again is great...

The guitar solo in Soma by Smashing Pumpkins probably wins it for me though, probably the most emotional guitar solo I know of, the guitar actually sounds in pain, but at the same time it's beautiful and melodic...

EDIT: Somehow I forgot the solo in Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix :facepalm2: which is musical perfection...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    The guitar solo at the end of Like a Daydream by Ride always get's me somehow, it's not even particularly spectacular just something about it.

Johnny Marr's guitar solo in Bigmouth Strikes Again is great...

The guitar solo in Soma by Smashing Pumpkins probably wins it for me though, probably the most emotional guitar solo I know of, the guitar actually sounds in pain, but at the same time it's beautiful and melodic...

EDIT: Somehow I forgot the solo in Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix :facepalm2: which is musical perfection...
    The solo in Are You Experienced and the solos in Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) are probably my favorites. Eric Clapton's two solos on Crossroads and Maggot Brain by Funkadelic are close contenders though.

ReputationRep:
    It's soo hard to choose, but the solo from Killing Yourself to Live (1:44) by Black Sabbath has to be one of my favourites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StannF)
    The solo in Are You Experienced and the solos in Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) are probably my favorites. Eric Clapton's two solos on Crossroads and Maggot Brain by Funkadelic are close contenders though.
    Clapton played on Maggot Brain? I didn't know this...

ReputationRep:
    Stairway to heaven
    Devil in a new dress
    21st century schizoid man
    *pink floyd*

ReputationRep:
    In My Time - Europe (at the end)

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to pick just one.

The Edge's solo in The Fly is really nice.

Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 are legendary but my favourites from The Wall would be Mother and Young Lust. Dogs, Echoes, Time, Money (the last solo especially) are amazing too.

Despite Kirk Hammett's wah abuse, I think he's really shown his class on Blackened, One and The Unforgiven.

Marty Friedman has some amazing ones! Lucretia is probably my favourite by him.

Steve Vai - For The Love of God; that song is beautiful.

Jimi's solos on the live versions of Purple Haze are gonad-busting, but his subtle solo on The Wind Cries Mary has a lot of emotion in it.

Tosin Abasi is technically fluid, but his solos aren't just mindless ******* - I really like On Impulse.

That's about all I can recall right now. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)

Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 are legendary but my favourites from The Wall would be Mother and Young Lust. Dogs, Echoes, Time, Money (the last solo especially) are amazing too.

Despite Kirk Hammett's wah abuse, I think he's really shown his class on Blackened, One and The Unforgiven.

Jimi's solos on the live versions of Purple Haze are gonad-busting, but his subtle solo on The Wind Cries Mary has a lot of emotion in it.

Tosin Abasi is technically fluid, but his solos aren't just mindless ******* - I really like On Impulse.

Tosin is unreal. And tbe Animals as Leaders drummer is unreeeeeal. Shame i cant really enjoy Animals as Leaders though

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that's my bad grammar, he had two solos on Crossroads (in the Live at the Fillmore version anyway.) Maggot Brain is by Eddie Hazel I'm pretty sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)

I used to listen to Animals as leaders but don't really listen to metal anymore
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I'm going to be really boring and say Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Still sends me shivers down my spine.

Anything by Petrucci is pretty magic, especially his rendition of Comfortably numb when Dream Theater/Pink Floyd played together.

Obvs Stairway to Heaven is legendary, albeit boring in choice.

What about you guys?
    Thin Lizzy here: https://youtu.be/dzwN-SHV5rA?t=4m19s

or Nirvana here: https://youtu.be/R0AqE9dapV0?t=2m49s

or this whole song:

There's also All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, which is class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LotusTK)
    Tosin is unreal. And tbe Animals as Leaders drummer is unreeeeeal. Shame i cant really enjoy Animals as Leaders though
    Is it that you don't like metal? Haha, not enough credit goes to Javier! He could play circles around most guitarists as well.

(Original post by hezzlington)
    I used to listen to Animals as leaders but don't really listen to metal anymore
    Similar sentiments, neither do I. I used to listen to plenty of metal in my early teens but I've grown out of it. Some of their mellower songs are pretty nice tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington;64201457

Anything by Petrucci is pretty magic, especially [i
    )

his[/i] rendition of Comfortably numb when Dream Theater/Pink Floyd played together.
    Just saw this haha. Didnt think anyone would give Petrucci a shout other than me!

Definitely agree with Petrucci. His playing and song writing is just unbelievable. Definitely my favorite guitarist. There is barely anything he has released that i dont like. His solo record is incredible, if you havent heard it its 100% worth a go.

I havent listened to any of the DT Pink Floyd stuff yet!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.