The Student Room Group

Continuing EU student eligibility to maintenance loan

I'm an EU national. Last year I applied for student finance for the first year of my course (2015/2016). I wasn't eleigible to get the maintenance loan because I'd lived only 2 years in the UK by that point.

Now I've lived three years in the UK, but I read that they changed the rules for 2016/2017 EU students and they raised the period of required reidency to get maintenance loan to five years.

I'll be applying as a continuing student for 2016/2017 and I've lived three years in the UK. Will the new rules affect me or I'm under the old rules and 3 years is enough to get the maintenance loan?
Original post by tmkn
I'm an EU national. Last year I applied for student finance for the first year of my course (2015/2016). I wasn't eleigible to get the maintenance loan because I'd lived only 2 years in the UK by that point.

Now I've lived three years in the UK, but I read that they changed the rules for 2016/2017 EU students and they raised the period of required reidency to get maintenance loan to five years.

I'll be applying as a continuing student for 2016/2017 and I've lived three years in the UK. Will the new rules affect me or I'm under the old rules and 3 years is enough to get the maintenance loan?

The residency rules apply *at the start of the course*. So although you have now been resident for another year you had still only been resident for 2 years when you atarted the course.

In other words : no you are not eligible for a maintenance loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending