Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Continuing EU student eligibility to maintenance loan watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU national. Last year I applied for student finance for the first year of my course (2015/2016). I wasn't eleigible to get the maintenance loan because I'd lived only 2 years in the UK by that point.

Now I've lived three years in the UK, but I read that they changed the rules for 2016/2017 EU students and they raised the period of required reidency to get maintenance loan to five years.

I'll be applying as a continuing student for 2016/2017 and I've lived three years in the UK. Will the new rules affect me or I'm under the old rules and 3 years is enough to get the maintenance loan?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tmkn)
    I'm an EU national. Last year I applied for student finance for the first year of my course (2015/2016). I wasn't eleigible to get the maintenance loan because I'd lived only 2 years in the UK by that point.

Now I've lived three years in the UK, but I read that they changed the rules for 2016/2017 EU students and they raised the period of required reidency to get maintenance loan to five years.

I'll be applying as a continuing student for 2016/2017 and I've lived three years in the UK. Will the new rules affect me or I'm under the old rules and 3 years is enough to get the maintenance loan?
    The residency rules apply *at the start of the course*. So although you have now been resident for another year you had still only been resident for 2 years when you atarted the course.

In other words : no you are not eligible for a maintenance loan.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.