Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please help think I'm getting depression watch

Hi I'm a 16 year old guy. My friendship group who I have been really close with for the past 5 years literally kicked me out around 5 months ago, because to them our relationship apparently got 'awkward' . And through the past 5 months I've been growing extremely lonely, I've made a few new friends, but none of these have invited me to hang out with them outside of school, which makes me think that they actually like me and just being nice.

This past week they have been talking about how they are all going to hang out this weekend right in front of me and didn't even ask me if I wanted to come. So through this week I have been feeling more and more depressed thinking that nobody likes me anymore and how I'm never going to really have any real friends again.

My symptoms so far is that I've honestly done nothing this week nor this weekend thus far and I've cried a couple of times this week just out of nowhere.

As well as that I have a big county Hockey game tomorrow and I don't know if I can be bothered to go, I'm just really losing hope in myself to achieve anything. All I'm asking is that any of you reading this my give some sort of help or advice in helping me in my loneliness please. (Sorry it's long)

Hello
    Hmm, well it's very difficult to diagnose you from the point of veiw of someone who doesn't know you, but if it's only really this week that you've noticed yourself feeling partiuarly down, then perhaps give it some time and see how things develop. It's perfectly normal to feel sad and lonely and upset from time to time but when you start to feel sad or numb for a prolonged period of time, it's definately worth getting help. For now, I would reccomend talking to someone about the way your feeling- perhaps a close family member or even a teacher? All of these people have your best interests at heart and will no doubt be willing to support you and offer you advice as best as they can, or will be willing to listen to you at the very least. Don't keep it in- you'll feel 100% better by getting your feelings of your chest, I can assure you. Sometimes getting advice from another person's perspective is really helpful and helps you see the bigger picture. As well as this, why not confront your new friends and tell them how you feel about the situation? You don't have to be argumentative or agressive, just be honest and ask them if there's a reason for them not inviting you and see what they say. If they're genuinely good friends who care about you, then I'm sure they'll listen to what you have to say and chances are they probably forgot or weren't sure if you'd want to come. However, if they get funny about it then perhaps they're not the kind of people who deserve your time and effort- there are plenty of people out there who would LOVE to spend time with you, believe me! If you're feeling lonely, the best thing you can do is be open and friendly and talk to and make converstation as much as possible with as many people as possible, broaden your circle of aquaintances, put yourself out there, be daring and make the first move and you will be well on your way to making amazing new friendships. Take as many oppotunities as possible, go to events, join clubs and socities, help out and volunteer. Whatever you can. But remember that people won't come to you if you don't come to them. You can't expect to just wait and then friends will come along. You have to be open. You have to be friendly. You have to be brave and confident and take risks in order to move further in life. And most importantly, you need to learn to enjoy your own company and feel secure being alone before you go searching for new friendships. You don't need anyone else to make you happy, happiness starts with YOU Good luck, hope this helps my lovely <3

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello
    Hmm, well it's very difficult to diagnose you from the point of veiw of someone who doesn't know you, but if it's only really this week that you've noticed yourself feeling partiuarly down, then perhaps give it some time and see how things develop. It's perfectly normal to feel sad and lonely and upset from time to time but when you start to feel sad or numb for a prolonged period of time, it's definately worth getting help. For now, I would reccomend talking to someone about the way your feeling- perhaps a close family member or even a teacher? All of these people have your best interests at heart and will no doubt be willing to support you and offer you advice as best as they can, or will be willing to listen to you at the very least. Don't keep it in- you'll feel 100% better by getting your feelings of your chest, I can assure you. Sometimes getting advice from another person's perspective is really helpful and helps you see the bigger picture. As well as this, why not confront your new friends and tell them how you feel about the situation? You don't have to be argumentative or agressive, just be honest and ask them if there's a reason for them not inviting you and see what they say. If they're genuinely good friends who care about you, then I'm sure they'll listen to what you have to say and chances are they probably forgot or weren't sure if you'd want to come. However, if they get funny about it then perhaps they're not the kind of people who deserve your time and effort- there are plenty of people out there who would LOVE to spend time with you, believe me! If you're feeling lonely, the best thing you can do is be open and friendly and talk to and make converstation as much as possible with as many people as possible, broaden your circle of aquaintances, put yourself out there, be daring and make the first move and you will be well on your way to making amazing new friendships. Take as many oppotunities as possible, go to events, join clubs and socities, help out and volunteer. Whatever you can. But remember that people won't come to you if you don't come to them. You can't expect to just wait and then friends will come along. You have to be open. You have to be friendly. You have to be brave and confident and take risks in order to move further in life. And most importantly, you need to learn to enjoy your own company and feel secure being alone before you go searching for new friendships. You don't need anyone else to make you happy, happiness starts with YOU Good luck, hope this helps my lovely <3
    You don't understand how thankful and apprietiative I am from what you just said. Your a very kind person and you have helped me a lot, I wish everyone was like you. I will try to do what you said and becom better! Once again thanks so much
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi I'm a 16 year old guy. My friendship group who I have been really close with for the past 5 years literally kicked me out around 5 months ago, because to them our relationship apparently got 'awkward' . And through the past 5 months I've been growing extremely lonely, I've made a few new friends, but none of these have invited me to hang out with them outside of school, which makes me think that they actually like me and just being nice.

This past week they have been talking about how they are all going to hang out this weekend right in front of me and didn't even ask me if I wanted to come. So through this week I have been feeling more and more depressed thinking that nobody likes me anymore and how I'm never going to really have any real friends again.

My symptoms so far is that I've honestly done nothing this week nor this weekend thus far and I've cried a couple of times this week just out of nowhere.

As well as that I have a big county Hockey game tomorrow and I don't know if I can be bothered to go, I'm just really losing hope in myself to achieve anything. All I'm asking is that any of you reading this my give some sort of help or advice in helping me in my loneliness please. (Sorry it's long)
    Well you certinally seem to be having a roungh time. It is normal to feel low now and then especially if bad things happen so I wouldn't worry too much about depression right now. Wait a few days or a week and see how you feel. Be really nice to yourself and relax. Maybe have some nice long baths and watch something you really like on tv or play a game you like.

If you start feeling worse or don't start feeling better after a week id go to your doc and talk to them about it.

If you want you could look at mind.org, samaritans or NHS. You could talk to samaritans too if you want to vent (they have an email service that is anonymous and is not just for people who are suicidal). You could also see if your college/ school/ uni has anybody to talk to. Mine worked with a nearby counseling service that made appointments (for free) at the college for students.

Depressive episodes are actually rather common. They can go away by themselves or may need some level of suppot to deal with. Usually if they are going to pass themselves they will in a couple of weeks so if it lasts longer than that i'd definately look into some support. If you are finding it hard to cope before then then look into support sooner. The doc is the best place to go, but counseling, samaritans, school, friends or family are all options too.

Btw, frendships come and go and you may find yourself at times not really having anybody you consider a friend. It's a really lonely time, but you will get new friends later.

(Original post by Kindred)
    Well you certinally seem to be having a roungh time. It is normal to feel low now and then especially if bad things happen so I wouldn't worry too much about depression right now. Wait a few days or a week and see how you feel. Be really nice to yourself and relax. Maybe have some nice long baths and watch something you really like on tv or play a game you like.

If you start feeling worse or don't start feeling better after a week id go to your doc and talk to them about it.

If you want you could look at mind.org, samaritans or NHS. You could talk to samaritans too if you want to vent (they have an email service that is anonymous and is not just for people who are suicidal). You could also see if your college/ school/ uni has anybody to talk to. Mine worked with a nearby counseling service that made appointments (for free) at the college for students.

Depressive episodes are actually rather common. They can go away by themselves or may need some level of suppot to deal with. Usually if they are going to pass themselves they will in a couple of weeks so if it lasts longer than that i'd definately look into some support. If you are finding it hard to cope before then then look into support sooner. The doc is the best place to go, but counseling, samaritans, school, friends or family are all options too.

Btw, frendships come and go and you may find yourself at times not really having anybody you consider a friend. It's a really lonely time, but you will get new friends later.
    Thanks so much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks so much!
    Hope you feel better soon. Just remember there is support out there for you.

Oh and if you're feeling lonely and want to meet people outside of school you could look into a club.

ReputationRep:
    You should ask your friends if you can hang out with them and just try to be a bit more open with them about yourself. If you don't want to play hockey you should tell the teacher you don't and explain its because you're ill. Tell your parents how you feel and go see a doctor. Hope you feel better soon. I know how you feel about friendship groups. I distanced myself from mine because I was ill and tbh feel they were the in group at school and a bit superficial.

ReputationRep:

You aren't getting depression if it helps. You are more likely just feeling down.

It happens with hormonal changes and just the general changes in your life.

I would ignore what other users are saying about depressive 'episodes', this is typical teenage changes.

I would say follow the advice about clubs etc.

You don't understand how thankful and apprietiative I am from what you just said. Your a very kind person and you have helped me a lot, I wish everyone was like you. I will try to do what you said and becom better! Once again thanks so much
    Awww this warms my heart ^.^ It's my absolute pleasure! I really hope you feel better soon, take care. Things are looking up, they won't stay like this forever. So many people feel this way too. You're not alone. <3 xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.