Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First, a bit of background.
    I take 4 AS subjects: English, RE, Art and French. I discovered pretty early in the year (about November) that I disliked both Art and French. I had to decide which I would probably do better in, and after a bit of confusion, I eventually decided I'd probably pass Art at a better standard than French. Rather than quit French there and then, I decided to stick out to the end of the year to at least get a grade and some UCAS points.

But I'm very bad at French compared to the rest of my class, I don't think my grade will be very good at all (C at the very best). I'm positive that I'm dropping it, even if by some miracle I did get a good grade, because I hate it too much. So, my question is, if I get a fail grade in French and drop it, does that look bad on my uni application? Could it affect my chances of an offer? I'm looking to go to a RG uni on a very competitive course.

Sorry if this seems a silly question, it's just I'm still not 100% on the applications process, and I'm not sure on what looks good on a uni application and what doesn't matter.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The university has access to your marks and so the way to tackle this is to include a statement in your application form that address the issue directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    The university has access to your marks and so the way to tackle this is to include a statement in your application form that address the issue directly.
    Okay, so even if I drop the subject they'll still consider it in the application?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if that sounds really obvious
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cari98 I would say that a C would be okay, if your other grades are very good. At a stretch even a D might not affect your application. I think some universities require a fourth pass at a level.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on demand and how relevant the subject is. If it was Medicine and you dropped Chemistry then no way but if it was say Economics and you dropped Geography then less of a problem (probably). Also, a C is not a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Cari98 I would say that a C would be okay, if your other grades are very good. At a stretch even a D might not affect your application. I think some universities require a fourth pass at a level.
    C is the absolute best I think I could possibly get, it's more likely going to be a D or E I'm just concerned that a poor grade at AS, even if I drop it immediately, will look bad...thanks for your help though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    It depends on demand and how relevant the subject is. If it was Medicine and you dropped Chemistry then no way but if it was say Economics and you dropped Geography then less of a problem (probably). Also, a C is not a disaster.
    Well, I want to do journalism at Cardiff and drop french, I'm not too sure whether that would be seen as a subject that they could reject me for on the basis of dropping it with a poor grade.

Also, sorry if that C grade comment made me sound a bit pretentious!XD What I mean is, a C is what I'd get if I absolutely got the highest that I think is within my power, it looks more likely that I'll get a D or an E if I'm brutally honest with myself

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you are enquiring here and you have some weeks before exams is a positive.

You could just withdraw from French now but you need to explain why you only did 3 at AS.

I think you need to stop agonising about this, make a decision and move on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.